JUST BOUGHT: Victus by HP 15L Gaming Desktop TG02-0346st. Anything I should know or invest in?

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
20 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Most people who buy prebuilts don't worry about that

Right, but the OP is asking what he should do with the system. Given this is an HP, which has a proven track record of making shit systems, cooling the VRMs is, IMO, a vlid and cheap option to prolong the life of the motherboard

I just bought this desktop it has the following:

• NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR, Display Connectors: HDMI*1, DP*3
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM (2 x 8 GB)
  • 500 W 80 Plus Bronze cerfified power supply mc
  • Realtek Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.2 combo (Supporting Gigabit data rate)
  • Windows 11 Home Plus
  • Intel® Core™ i5- 12400 (2.5 GHz up to 4.4 GHz , 18 MB L3 cache, 12 cores )

I was wondering if y'all think there is anything I should also invest in to boost said performance. This is my first desktop and will take any advice. I was thinking of getting a liquid cooler for the CPU.

Make sure the VRMs are well cooled

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Make sure the VRMs are well cooled

Most people who buy prebuilts don't worry about that, especially with a 12400.  Just have a decent case with airflow, which will cool the VRMs anyway.

Don't get a liquid cooler for a 12400.  Get a better CPU with that money.

I assume a 1080p monitor?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

6 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Most people who buy prebuilts don't worry about that, especially with a 12400.  Just have a decent case with airflow, which will cool the VRMs anyway.

Don't get a liquid cooler for a 12400.  Get a better CPU with that money.

I assume a 1080p monitor?

Yeah, it's a 1080p but only 60hz so I may get a newer and better monitor later.

Might wanna add more storage for games and such, at least 1tb. A good HDD would be cheap and work fairly well just as storage.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

20 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Most people who buy prebuilts don't worry about that

Right, but the OP is asking what he should do with the system. Given this is an HP, which has a proven track record of making shit systems, cooling the VRMs is, IMO, a vlid and cheap option to prolong the life of the motherboard

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 1/30/2023 at 6:16 PM, Radium_Angel said:

what should I do to keep them cool?

4 hours ago, bigwackluis said:

what should I do to keep them cool?

Airflow across them and (if it were my system) some tiny VRM-specific heatsinks. I bought a pack off eBay, only a few dollars.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:33 PM, bigwackluis said:

Wi-fi

I have a tech tip, in Windows, you can turn on your wifi, then enable the "stationary" hotspot feature (desktops aren't very mobile) and create your own software-based access point.

This is with the Microsoft wi-fi direct feature, you'll see this inside "device manager" and, listed as "local area connection #" in the advanced network settings / adapter options.

So with this, you quite literally have your very own, customizable access point, you can change the name, passphrase, wireless mode (right click properties on your main wifi adapter for that one specifically), and most importantly:

Your choice of IP address (joking, no but you can choose anything in the class C range of 192 168 137. # your number choice as the last number group.

For the gateway, 192.168.137.1 seems to work.

More importantly than that though is you can change the DNS setting, separate from your main wifi and so close-range wireless devices can go through a local dns filter like adguard or pi-hole to reduce network traffic and data uploads.

This can also be done for the same pc your using, without the hotspot feature, using virtualbox and "bridged" network adapter using your wifi device, inside the virtual machine settings for each virtual system.  It's really not that complicated until you start blocking too many microsoft domains.  If you can just let one through it will realize you have internet.  If you block absolutely all of them, you'll have to load a website (yes, while it says "no internet) before windows will allow you to use the " hotspot " wireless feature.

To me, that's worth the hassle, but to some it's a kin to shoveling shit.  Some people just won't even bother, too much work, like the bit about the "conspiracy fly" on family guy.

To me, it feels like allowing shit to flow through the network if I don't use a filter, and it can also help track malicious network activity, or catch telemetry domains you probably never asked to connect.

Examples:

Link to pi-hole blog post from several years ago with multiple parts of examples!

https://pi-hole.net/blog/2017/02/22/what-really-happens-on-your-network-find-out-with-pi-hole/

Also I just thought of the night light option.  F.lux is a program created in 2008 that still gets updates today, and it's supposed to turn your monitor into a candle-light information center after sunset.  I think f.lux is better than night light because it has numbers you can use, and more customization.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.