Keeping my drivers up to date on windows 11

Babysnakes

Hi all,

After 2x years of running Linux/Macs (where driver updates are part of the system) I moved to windows. At first it was with laptops, so they have their own dedicated tools. Now I actually built a PC and I'm wondering how to keep my drivers up to date. The main devices I'm talking about are:

• Nvidia 3080 TI
  • Asus TUF Gaming z790 motherboard

One option is to go to their respective websites and manually download and install the driver updates. This seems too much work 🙁 and I'm hoping to avoid that. Another option would be to install applications to manage updates (more on that later), and last - maybe windows check for driver updates automatically? (Since I've only been running this PC for a month, I don't have a lot of experience with it).

Regarding applications to keep driver updates:

• Nvidia - I know there's GeForce Experience. Is it the only option? Does it take a lot of resources constantly running? (I know it also have a lot of benefits like games specific drivers, etc).
  • Asus Motherboard - This has been a source for a lot of troubles. I've installed Armoury Crate and it's full of bloat and constantly causing me troubles (e.g. high CPU usage until I restart). Is there another option for keeping the drivers updated? I saw there's an Intel drivers update tool. Since almost all of the drivers for the motherboard are Intel (except the audio), can I use that? Is it any better?

Thanks for your help.

Haim

20 minutes ago, Babysnakes said:

One option is to go to their respective websites and manually download and install the driver updates. This seems too much work 🙁 and I'm hoping to avoid that.

And that option, you'll never have to do again except for graphics card driver updates, the rest of the system you hardly ever have to update drivers for.

Another option would be to install applications to manage updates (more on that later), and last - maybe windows check for driver updates automatically? (Since I've only been running this PC for a month, I don't have a lot of experience with it).

These hardly work and their more bloatware than anything, sometimes even install the wrong drivers. Driver installations are pretty easy to do. When you unzip the file, usually (<- most of the time) they have a readme that explains how to install drivers. 

Nvidia - I know there's GeForce Experience. Is it the only option? Does it take a lot of resources constantly running? (I know it also have a lot of benefits like games specific drivers, etc).

It's pretty lightweight and will let you know when there is an update, but best to wait a couple days/a week just to ensure the new driver doesn't brick something. 

Asus Motherboard - This has been a source for a lot of troubles. I've installed Armoury Crate and it's full of bloat and constantly causing me troubles (e.g. high CPU usage until I restart). Is there another option for keeping the drivers updated? I saw there's an Intel drivers update tool. Since almost all of the drivers for the motherboard are Intel (except the audio), can I use that? Is it any better?

Don't even bother with armoury crate, unless you need RGB control or use a third-party freeware software for that (I can't recommend any as I don't bother with the RGB inside my case cause I can't see it due to the D15 and graphics card). As I previously stated above, you hardly ever have to update audio/chipset/network drivers. 

Bewarned though that motherboards containing Intel's I226V 2.5Gb Ethernet chip have disconnect issues and are found on Z790 motherboards. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Update the bios, the gpu drivers and the chipset drivers manually.

For the rest, use Driver Booster. Works fine.

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

For now, I removed Armoury Crate and installed GeForce Experience. I'll try to occasionally check the Asus site for updates and see how it goes.

Thanks All.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, Babysnakes said:

For now, I removed Armoury Crate and installed GeForce Experience. I'll try to occasionally check the Asus site for updates and see how it goes.

Thanks All.

Be sure to Disable ArmoryCrate in the UEFI as well. If not, you'll get annoying popups under Windows to install it. Wonderful, I know...