How good is the 13600k?

Sorry to bother people.

I was origionally on here a month or so ago talking about cpu's. And through the course of talking, i said i was going to upgrade to a 5800x3d... not now though.

I recently did a job for a mate. I upgraded his mobo, cpu and cooler. My mate went the ddr 4 route so he could reuse his ram. But this cpu. The time i spent with it. This cpu is bloody outstanding. For games and production. 14 cores. 6 p cores and 8 e cores. 20 threads. 5.1 ghz boost. Low temps as well despite the high wattage. Would you agree this is the sweet spot in intels current line up? The perfect balance of performance, boost and temps. It seriously kicked arse during game tests and a quick handbreak run.

I already know that my fave cpu cooler, the noctua nh-u12a is more than enough for this. That cpu can be held by air cooling. Even enough room for a modest overclock.

So im going 13600k cpu, a z790 mobo and ddr 5 60000 c36 ram. Does that sound about right for what im after? I'm going to overclock the snot out that cpu lol

4 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I recently did a job for a mate. I upgraded his mobo, cpu and cooler. My mate went the ddr 4 route so he could reuse his ram. But this cpu. The time i spent with it. This cpu is bloody outstanding. For games and production. 14 cores. 6 p cores and 8 e cores. 20 threads. 5.1 ghz boost. Low temps as well despite the high wattage. Would you agree this is the sweet spot in intels current line up? The perfect balance of performance, boost and temps. It seriously kicked arse during game tests and a quick handbreak run.

I already know that my fave cpu cooler, the noctua nh-u12a is more than enough for this. That cpu can be held by air cooling. Even enough room for a modest overclock.

So im going 13600k cpu, a z790 mobo and ddr 5 60000 c36 ram. Does that sound about right for what im after? I'm going to overclock the snot out that cpu lol

Going with an i9-13900K/KS to me is pretty worthless due to the power consumption and little gains they get, not to mention the cooling solution you'll need to tame it. 

13600K is probably the best mid-range/high-end CPU to go with from Intel currently. Even the 12600K would be a solid performer if you go with Intel, but AMD's 7600/7700 series is worth looking at. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Would you agree this is the sweet spot in intels current line up?

There's an argument between it and the 13700K, since the 13700K when on sale is not that much more, and those 2 extra P cores give a lot more multicore performance. Generally speaking though, assuming no sales, the 13600K is generally the best option from their lineup. 

7 minutes ago, Digideath said:

So im going 13600k cpu, a z790 mobo and ddr 5 60000 c36 ram. Does that sound about right for what im after?

Yeah, that's about right. I might go for some faster RAM since those chips do tend to scale with memory performance, and 6000 CL36 is right at that weird spot where you can save money with a 5600 CL36 kit and overclock it to 6000 CL36 if you're willing to do some RAM OC, or you can get a 6400 CL32 kit for not much more. But yeah, a 13600K(F), something like a Z790 UD AC, and a 2x16GB kit of 6400 CL32 would be great. 

Pls get a Z board tho, the amount of people that find out u can’t under-volt Properly on a b board once u already brought it is insane  

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

The 13600K is an outstanding CPU. Only drawback is that the LGA1700 is a dead end socket, so you can only upgrade with higher tier 13th gen parts. If (like me) you wait a few years before upgrading, it's a non issue.

DDR5 6000CL36 should leave in the dust even the most performing DDR4 for all but the most latency sensitive applications. DDR5 is also simpler because it always works in gear 2. With DDR4 a slightly slower kit in gear 1 can outperform a faster kit in gear 2.

Personally I'm going for the 13700F since I don't overclock. it's 15€ more than the 13600K and gets me most of the performance of the 13700. Motherboards right now are 250€ I'm waiting for more affordable 70 series chipset to come out for the upgrade. I look forward to the gains.

Just like every flagship i5 from the last 4 generations (i5 1X600k)

The most value for your money and the best gaming cpu (That doesn't slurp power like a 2080Ti and doesn't cost much)

12900k and 13900k are insanely hot and expensive

The 12700k and 13700k are not really necessary for gaming - invest the extra money in a better gpu

If I remember correctly, the 13600k turbos to 5.1GHz while gaming and its not that hot

Just get a Z motherboard so you wont be limited with overclocking and undervolting

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

5 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

DDR5 6000CL36 should leave in the dust even the most performing DDR4 for all but the most latency sensitive applications.

Giving its mad price, its really not worth it

Especially not for gaming

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

13 hours ago, HardStroke said:

Giving its mad price, its really not worth it

Especially not for gaming

It costs me 200€ to get a 32GB DDR5 6000CL36 kit today. 
It costs me 130€ to get a 32GB DDR4 3200CL16 kit today.

I will upgrade this month, I'm still doing research, and from what I have seen, even a DDR5 4800CL40 kit beats a DDR4 3200CL16 in most games. There are games like Cyberpunk 2077 that seem to run better with lower latency ram than with faster ram.

Personally I'd go with DDR5 for a new build with the latest processor. With a decent DDR5 motherboard and a great processor, you always have the option to sell your kit and buy a faster DDR5 down the line. Spending 350€ on the processor IMO is worth spending an extra 70€ on the ram and 50€ more on the MOBO to get more out of it.

IMO if you go with DDR4, I'd do so with an older cheaper processor for the AM4 socket like the AMD 5800X3D (I can get it for 400€). If you get the fastest dead end ram, you might as well take the best cheapest dead end processor that still gets you amazing FPS.

I'm still trying to figure out the various chipset configuration and non-k parts ram speed capability. On the ark page the 13700F is listed with a maximum ram speed of 5600, but I still haven't find out solid information if intel this time around is enforcing the limit or not. I don't know yet if it's worth waiting more to get a 70 class chipset motherboard or if it's worth to get a 90 class chipset with an overall higher end motherboard.

In OP case, the 13600K would pair best with a 90 class chipset and a better MOBO with faster overclockable ram. In OP's case, going with DDR4 also introduces lots of trickery about the DDR4 speed and gear mode of the memory controller. Is it better to get a DDR4 4000 kit and try to run it to gear 1? Since OP likes overclocking it might be fun for them to try, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I can get a DDR4 4000CL18 for 230€. At that price I'd rather have a DDR5 kit.