Swapping SSDs with windows and applications

kooshool

I have an intel cpu with intel nvidia gpu and my windows is installed on a samsung evo SSD, my wife has an amd cpu with amd gpu and her stuff is installed on a lexar SSD. Now she wants to run intel optimized programs so she wants us to switch computers, can we just swap the SSDs and then re install all the necessary drivers? or do we have to clone ssds? or there is no way to do it?

7 minutes ago, kooshool said:

I have an intel cpu with intel nvidia gpu and my windows is installed on a samsung evo SSD, my wife has an amd cpu with amd gpu and her stuff is installed on a lexar SSD. Now she wants to run intel optimized programs so she wants us to switch computers, can we just swap the SSDs and then re install all the necessary drivers? or do we have to clone ssds? or there is no way to do it?

some times it works some times it dosent. just depends i guess. but back it up before trying anything.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Switching from AMD to Intel generally doesn't cause performance issues, but switching from Intel to AMD often does. Additionally, you don't want to have remnants of a previous graphics driver if you're switching brands, so you'd want to run DDU on both systems afterwards. And then there's other drivers, like chipset drivers, that might cause problems if they are left installed, but also might be hard to completely wipe away. Also, there's the matter of Windows potentially getting mad and thinking your key is invalid.

So for the convenience of making the swap quickly, you're potentially giving yourself headaches down the road.

Is there a reason why you couldn't use multiple accounts on the computers so that you could share them?

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Switching from AMD to Intel generally doesn't cause performance issues, but switching from Intel to AMD often does. Additionally, you don't want to have remnants of a previous graphics driver if you're switching brands, so you'd want to run DDU on both systems afterwards. And then there's other drivers, like chipset drivers, that might cause problems if they are left installed, but also might be hard to completely wipe away. Also, there's the matter of Windows potentially getting mad and thinking your key is invalid.

So for the convenience of making the swap quickly, you're potentially giving yourself headaches down the road.

Is there a reason why you couldn't use multiple accounts on the computers so that you could share them?

since we work on our PCs we both need a PC during working hours.

Im understanding DDU is for wiping previous gpu drivers, nothing for other drivers?

Just now, kooshool said:

since we work on our PCs we both need a PC during working hours.

Im understanding DDU is for wiping previous gpu drivers, nothing for other drivers?

Yes, it is for wiping previous GPU drivers.

What I'm saying is that if you want to swap computers, why not just set up second accounts on both computers and trade them? Install the necessary software over the weekend so that you don't have downtime during work.

Here's what you do.

1. Create a Windows Installer USB
  2. Download DDU
  3. Disconnect both computers from the internet
  4. Run DDU on both
  5. Swap the drives between the computers
  6. Assuming there's no major differences (GPT vs MBR, Legacy vs UEFI boot, Bootloader on the wrong drive, et al) both computers should boot fine
  7. Run Setup.exe from the USB within Windows. DO NOT BOOT FROM THE USB. This will do a in-place Windows install in regards to drivers and system components but keep your apps, settings, files, et al.
  8. Connect the network cable after the first reboot of the setup

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Here's what you do.

1. Create a Windows Installer USB
  2. Download DDU
  3. Disconnect both computers from the internet
  4. Run DDU on both
  5. Swap the drives between the computers
  6. Assuming there's no major differences (GPT vs MBR, Legacy vs UEFI boot, Bootloader on the wrong drive, et al) both computers should boot fine
  7. Run Setup.exe from the USB within Windows. DO NOT BOOT FROM THE USB. This will do a in-place Windows install in regards to drivers and system components but keep your apps, settings, files, et al.
  8. Connect the network cable after the first reboot of the setup

thanks i will give it a try 

15 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yes, it is for wiping previous GPU drivers.

What I'm saying is that if you want to swap computers, why not just set up second accounts on both computers and trade them? Install the necessary software over the weekend so that you don't have downtime during work.

im guessing you are not married 😄 that way anything happens has to do with me and my account