Need help for Folding @ home on a laptop

I have a gaming laptop with a GTX 1650 and 4 cores of i5 9300H (lenovo legion y540) , my daily driver,  and another old laptop with a 920MX and a i3 6006U. I have started folding on both of them.

I had a few concerns, is folding on my GPU and CPU bad for my gaming laptops and is folding on the old laptop bad for the project overall because of its old GPU and CPU . Both of them have adequate airflow and are not kept on any surface that is restricting airflow and the gaming laptop has pretty strong cooling. I don't really mind if my old laptop dies after a year or so as long as it does not blow up.

Temps:

Gaming laptop:

image.png.6a897682266cd4acdda12bbcde94cd61.png

image.png.e002854a391efe4ea980de2465de3c80.png

The CPU rarely hits 92 Celsius but sometimes hits 97 and throttles back down 

Old laptop (folding on GPU and CPU) :

image.png.91e623465179f117d0bc24ef7f6e9449.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is fine to run the folding on your old laptop,but it will be REALLY slow.Since you don't have any worries on the old laptop(Of course it will not BLOW UP,it can only be a random faliure on your motherboard),I think it should be the newer one that concerns.Maybe you should change your thermal paste on the CPU and GPU,to lower the temperature of your chip,since it will definitely be short-lived if working in a extremely hot temperature (95 Celcius is hot enouth) all day.And they are a little bit of old,so I think you should be careful.I can expect a 5-7 Celcius decrease on your i5 processor after you changed the thermal paste.I will not recommend any thermal paste here,but I think better ones will not cost too much,so it is worthwhile to spend.GPU's temperature is fine,but surely after a few years of working,changing it's thermal paste is not a bad idea.Also you need to remove the dust from your heat dissipation fins and clean it completely.I think this will be useful,at least a bit.

TLDR: drop CPU folding and lower GPU's TDP if needed

I have a Legion 5 with Ryzen 7 4800H and RTX 2060.

I noticed that CPU folding, even when running alone, makes it go really hot, even above 100 degrees. I decided to repaste and discovered that I had a bit uneven paste spread. After that it got a bit more stable, but still hits up to 100. So decided to stop using CPU and currently am folding only on GPU.

What I did additionally is that I have either Balance or Performance Mode turned on so the fans are kicking in earlier. With such setup the GPU is at 68, with a hot spot of 80. CPU and GPU share one heat pipe, so CPU gets a bit too hot - still easily jumps to 90+ when nothing major is happening (folding of course uses some CPU so it's always doing something). So ultimately I decided to just run the GPU at 75% TDP at which the board power draw is at 60 W (base is 80). With such setup the GPU is at 60-61, hot spot at 73-74, and CPU still jumps quickly to 90, but in overall the temps are lower and the spikes get cooled quicker.

In short:

100% TDP (80W):

GPU 68

GPU hot spot 80

CPU 80-95

Example TPF 2:53

75% TDP (60W):

GPU 60-61

GPU hot spot 73-74

CPU 75-90

Example TPF 3:14

Given that the TPF change is 21 s, which is about 12% slower, running at 75% TDP seems like a good compromise. Still works fast and components are not being overly used.

I am changing the power limit in MSI Afterburner.

I am using GPU-Z to monitor the temps and power.