portable desktop gaming monitor?

farzher

portable monitors are too tiny. desktop monitors are too bulky and heavy.

i think what i'm looking for is a desktop monitor that's lightweight. 20-24 inches.
the size isn't much of a problem for me, i'm traveling with a suitcase.

it's mostly the weight and bulkiness of the stand that's a problem when traveling.

this is very hard to find though! people don't tend to talk about desktop monitors bulkiness.

ROG Strix XG17AHPE looks like a pretty cool monitor. the stand seems good and very easy to travel with!
but only 17 inches and $600 o:

9 minutes ago, farzher said:

portable monitors are too tiny. desktop monitors are too bulky and heavy.

i think what i'm looking for is a desktop monitor that's lightweight. 20-24 inches.
the size isn't much of a problem for me, i'm traveling with a suitcase.

it's mostly the weight and bulkiness of the stand that's a problem when traveling.

this is very hard to find though! people don't tend to talk about desktop monitors bulkiness.

ROG Strix XG17AHPE looks like a pretty cool monitor. the stand seems good and very easy to travel with!
but only 17 inches and $600 o:

Usually because its pretty niche and pointless. This  is pretty much what laptops are for, quite literally. There is pretty much no market for this, especially in the 24 inch market. Desktop monitors are not designed like that because there is not a reason to, they are designed to be on a desk on not moved, if you want one like that its gonna be under 17" Because thats portable. 

You are gonna have pretty much no luck finding one at a reasonable price, due to how niche  this would be. 

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Usually because its pretty niche and pointless. This  is pretty much what laptops are for, quite literally. There is pretty much no market for this, especially in the 24 inch market. Desktop monitors are not designed like that because there is not a reason to, they are designed to be on a desk on not moved, if you want one like that its gonna be under 17" Because thats portable. 

You are gonna have pretty much no luck finding one at a reasonable price, due to how niche  this would be. 

i agree except i'm also very confident there's some random gaming monitor out there that happens to be very thin and light. maybe that combined with some portable Vesa mount stand and problem solved 

Just now, farzher said:

i agree except i'm also very confident there's some random gaming monitor out there that happens to be very thin and light. maybe that combined with some portable Vesa mount stand and problem solved 

I just dont think its gonna be 24" though, OLEDS could be the answer, but they are gonna be expensive AF and not ready for 24" market for quite a while. Anything with LED and such is gonna have a decent amount of Heft to it there is no getting around that.

30 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I just dont think its gonna be 24" though, OLEDS could be the answer, but they are gonna be expensive AF and not ready for 24" market for quite a while. Anything with LED and such is gonna have a decent amount of Heft to it there is no getting around that.

Not necessarily - you have the entire iPad line which is exclusively LCD. All of them are paper thin even with the computing components attached

34 minutes ago, farzher said:

VESA arm can be a pain to install though, it took a while to set up. Unless you stay at one place for an extended period during your travelling, I honestly don't think it's ideal. 

Instead of going for something big like a 24 inches (those are really big honestly and it will be even bigger once you've put on some wrap to prevent scratching and damage during transit on), have you considered a 2-in1 laptop with a portable monitor? 

You can use your laptop as a monitor (folding the keyboard as a stand with attached mouse and keyboard) and instead of going big, you can go multi-monitor set up with the portable monitor which will probably net you similar screen real estate to a single 24 inches one

46 minutes ago, e22big said:

Not necessarily - you have the entire iPad line which is exclusively LCD. All of them are paper thin even with the computing components attached

Completely different scenario, argument and just no. There are no 24" Ipads, Its a great screen but they arent thin at that scale. They are powered by a battery, so the power part of the monitor isnt there, display connections arent there so they would have to be added.

Could you potentially make a 24" Ipad type monitor? Maybe? If you do a Power+Display over USBC i could maybe see that work. But thats still going to be So expensive and not cheap. the 20-24" Is an Awkward size  for On the go monitors, since its still a 2ft+ monitor. You could probably get a more foldable stand that packs just the right way in a suitcase with proper protection, but again thats gonna cost ya

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Completely different scenario, argument and just no. There are no 24" Ipads, Its a great screen but they arent thin at that scale. They are powered by a battery, so the power part of the monitor isnt there, display connections arent there so they would have to be added.

Could you potentially make a 24" Ipad type monitor? Maybe? If you do a Power+Display over USBC i could maybe see that work. But thats still going to be So expensive and not cheap. the 20-24" Is an Awkward size  for On the go monitors, since its still a 2ft+ monitor. You could probably get a more foldable stand that packs just the right way in a suitcase with proper protection, but again thats gonna cost ya

You could also add battery, and most  (if not all) portable displays already come with one. And it's probably doable size-wise if you absolutely need a big screen, if you can pack an iMac for video editing at CES (a la MKBHD) then you can a 24 inches display with a laptop. It won't exactly be for a mobile equipment but if you actually need a desktop that is transportable, there's an argument to be had there.

i've never had a good experience with a gaming laptop. they're so terrible and experience.
the keyboard and trackpad is worthless, so you have to use your own keyboard and mouse anyway.

i bought a 3090 for $600 on ebay. i just want to use that. i use the 24gb of vram for generating AI art.
idk laptops are just so bad .-.

i can travel with my small form factor desktop computer np. only the monitor is a problem to travel with

You could also get a VR headset. Next gen models are being released including the Shiftall MeganeX in Mar/Apr of this year at $1699. When I do work extensively I do bring my desktop around with my 24" monitor so I am considering this as an option.

https://www.roadtovr.com/panasonic-shiftall-meganex-release-price/

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

1 hour ago, farzher said:

i've never had a good experience with a gaming laptop. they're so terrible and experience.
the keyboard and trackpad is worthless, so you have to use your own keyboard and mouse anyway.

i bought a 3090 for $600 on ebay. i just want to use that. i use the 24gb of vram for generating AI art.
idk laptops are just so bad .-.

i can travel with my small form factor desktop computer np. only the monitor is a problem to travel with

If you travel frequently, a laptop is your only option. 

Carrying the PC and monitor is unrealistic. 
There is too small market for a portable 24" monitor into productivity.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

i found this random 4 year old video of a portable 27" monitor. i assume it's only 60hz. but are we all sure something like this doesn't exist at like 120hz?
i think i'll find it if i look hard enough

4 hours ago, farzher said:

i found this random 4 year old video of a portable 27" monitor. i assume it's only 60hz. but are we all sure something like this doesn't exist at like 120hz?
i think i'll find it if i look hard enough

I don't know any portable monitor larger than 17 inches honestly. And don't buy too much into CES products coverage, most of them never see the light of day after that event. 

There maybe some edge case if you look hard enough but 144hz is probably impossible. There aren't even that many options at 60hz. But well, if you're hellbent on those requirements then your best bet will probably just to get a 22-24 inches, traditional display and deal with all of its limitation. Might be doable since you're already carring your PC around anyway - but definitely not going to be fun. You will want to repack your display every time you move (they are pretty fragile) but that's the nature of it. I would just stick with the stand that came with it though, that's probably the smallest you can find anyway (third party VESA mount that function as a stand instead of an arm, do exist but they aren't unlikely to be smaller than the standard arm - it's big for a reason and that is to prevent your display from tipping over)

I would still think carry a dual portable display (if you don't want a laptop) to be a better solution. It's at least easier to transport in that regard. 

I got a portable IPS display for my Steam Deck. It's 15.6". Personally, I would never go for anything larger than that for a portable. 15.6" is large enough that it's on the cusp of being too unweildly to really be portable as it is; a 24" portable display would be a nightmare to move around.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 1 month later...