What are some geat mid-priced android phone suggestions mainly for watching 1080p video?

ARGANALEX
Go to solution Solved by mononymous,

Look at used mid-range phones released 2 years ago. 

Eg) Used Google Pixel 4a, Ebay UK

Edit: 100GBP is more like budget priced. Mid range right now seems to be 300 to 400 GBP.

Hi, I hope you can help. 

I'm basically just looking for smart phone suggestions for an android that costs about £100, that's great for watching videos at 1080p, even more if possible, but 1080p is the target and probably realistic at that budget. 

Currently I have an older Huawei P smart phone that's really inconsistent in the resolution it can handle, but mainly if I want a good experience I have to watch most videos at 480p or less. It can run higher but it starts to stutter. The Internet here is just fine, and I'm able to run the videos smoothly at 1080p on the computer, so I'm sure it's the phone. 

Do you have any suggestions? 

Thank you! 

Look at used mid-range phones released 2 years ago. 

Eg) Used Google Pixel 4a, Ebay UK

Edit: 100GBP is more like budget priced. Mid range right now seems to be 300 to 400 GBP.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

On 1/29/2023 at 5:50 PM, ARGANALEX said:

The Internet here is just fine, and I'm able to run the videos smoothly at 1080p on the computer, so I'm sure it's the phone. 

Download the video, problem solved, no new device required.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.