Is there an Intel 2.5Gbit ethernet NIC issue with Asus motherboards?

On the Microcenter store page for the Asus X670E-E AM5 motherboard, there are numerous reports of network issues with Asus motherboards that have the Intel I225-V 2.5Gb ethernet NIC.

The issue seems to sum up as how this one person described it: "Every day I get a random disconnect that requires me to completely restart my computer in order to get it to work again". That page also claims to offer a solution. Another Intel webpage also speaks of the issue and claims to offer a solution.

Most of the reports I found in a search of this issue are from a couple of years ago, and there are claims that the issue was resolved, like in this Reddit post:

The issue is hardware related and Intel have made 3 hardware revisions to the I225-V. The newest B3 stepping is problem free however some retailers may have old inventory. As recently as December, ASUS shipped out an affected motherboard to me with the B2 stepping of the Intel I225-V.

How to do I check if my motherboard is affected

If you've installed the motherboard, you can find the Intel I225-V revision in device manager. The physical silicon on my board has the reference SLNJY aka B2. The NIC in device manager with a number in brackets appears to correspond with the revision. Thanks /u/shm0_88

If you're looking at getting one of these motherboards in the table at the bottom or have one already but haven't installed it yet, look out for the I225-V chip near the NIC. The easiest way to physically check on an ASUS boards is:

1. Remove the heatsink to the left of the CPU socket. This is partly covered by the I/O shield which you can remove for better access but it can be fiddly putting it back on

2. Undo these two screws on the back of the board, making sure you are gripping the heatsink with your free hand in order to prevent it from falling out. This should reveal the I225-V chip albeit at an awkward angle. You can easily take a photo with your phones camera with the flash light on and visibly see the chip reference or alternatively, remove the I/O shield

3. Cross reference the reference on the chip with the table below

Chip Reference Stepping Affected
SLN9D or SLN9C B1 Yes
SLNJX or SLNJY B2 Yes
SLNMH or SLMNG B3 No

But the Microcenter reviews suggest otherwise. And one person in those reviews said they tried the things recommended to be done on various pages, but that none of those suggestions fixed the issue for them.

On Hardforum, someone said: "From what I've read of more recent i225-V complaints, they seem mostly to happen when connected to a 2.5Gb or better switch/router (which makes me wonder if it's the Intel NIC actually at fault). If you're running a traditional 1gbit LAN, I suspect you'll be OK".

But I don't find limiting network speed to 1Gb to be a satisfactory solution. I've bought an Asus X760E-A motherboard (and am waiting on Z4X3D to release before I buy a CPU) for a build to last me perhaps 5 - 10 years, and would like to feel confident that there won't be a future issue when I get home internet beyond 1Gbit in speed.

I'm wondering if anybody has insight into what this is about.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

You might want to check out this news article:

The I225-V was plagued by many network connection problems that led to connectivity loss and performance deterioration. The issues could only be fixed at the hardware level, so Intel eventually released the I225-V2 controller. 

15 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

You might want to check out this news article:

The I225-V was plagued by many network connection problems that led to connectivity loss and performance deterioration. The issues could only be fixed at the hardware level, so Intel eventually released the I225-V2 controller. 

So, I should find out if Asus' AM5 motherboards, and specifically the X670E-A motherboard I have has the V1 or V2 1225 controller. If it has the V1 1225, maybe an RMA will be in order.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987