Link Aggregation between Netgear CM1100 Modem and a Router

I was planning on getting 2gig internet at my new condo.  I have a Netgear CM1100 modem that supports 2.5gig with link aggregation.  I was wondering if anyone knows a router that supports it also.  I can only seem to find articles of people using link aggregation from a switch to a nas or something like that.  But what about from the modem to the router to get 2gig internet?

1 hour ago, Hoodrich Iggy said:

I was planning on getting 2gig internet at my new condo.  I have a Netgear CM1100 modem that supports 2.5gig with link aggregation.  I was wondering if anyone knows a router that supports it also.  I can only seem to find articles of people using link aggregation from a switch to a nas or something like that.  But what about from the modem to the router to get 2gig internet?

You need to verify with the cable operator if they even support that use case. LAG was only introduced because at the time 2.5 and 5 Gbps Ethernet did not exist. I think a lot of providers stopped supported LAG with the intention of just supporting modems with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports. 

However one option might be building your own router with PFsense. You would need to verify if PFsense supports LAG, but I dont know of any off the shelve consumer grade gear that does. PFsense tends to be the option when your use case is a bit unusual and off the beaten path. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You need to verify with the cable operator if they even support that use case. LAG was only introduced because at the time 2.5 and 5 Gbps Ethernet did not exist. I think a lot of providers stopped supported LAG with the intention of just supporting modems with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports. 

However one option might be building your own router with PFsense. You would need to verify if PFsense supports LAG, but I dont know of any off the shelve consumer grade gear that does. PFsense tends to be the option when your use case is a bit unusual and off the beaten path. 

It (pfsense) does support LAG and provided OP isn't trying to get a single stream at 2Gbps then it would do fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: