M.2 SSD Install Question

JT0051

Just on my first build here, going pretty good and quicker than I expected.

Anyways, a bit confused about how my Samsung 990 M.2 SSD should be installed in the upper most slot closest to the CPU. I will let the pics from my motherboard manual speak for themselves...

I'm not sure weather to use the M2_1 or the M2_2 slot in the attached photo?

At my knowledge level, the manual makes it sound like one option is better, but then goes on to make it the other option sound better lol.

Thanks!

i13900K

RTX 4090

ASrock Z790 Steel Legend motherboard

If any of that matters...

20230128_180803.jpg

20230128_180846.jpg

Use socket 1, it's connected directly to the CPU and doesn't steal lanes away from the GPU. The 990 Pro is not a Gen 5 capable M.2 so having it in the Gen 5 slot is rather pointless and only means your GPU will be running at x8 rather than x16 (not that big a deal, but still a 3-5% performance loss for no reason) 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Use socket 1, it's connected directly to the CPU and doesn't steal lanes away from the GPU. The 990 Pro is not a Gen 5 capable M.2 so having it in the Gen 5 slot is rather pointless and only means your GPU will be running at x8 rather than x16 (not that big a deal, but still a 3-5% performance loss for no reason) 

Awesome thanks brother👍. I thought it may be a Gen 5 thing, I remember hearing Gen 5 is rather pointless to have at this time. But the mobo came with it so...

Slot 1 it is.