Upgrade to rtx 4080 or rx 7900 xtx?

woldemort

Hi.

New to this forum, but have been watching LTT for quite a while and know my fare share.

My current setup:

5800x3d

x570 aorus elite

32GB 3600mhz cl16

Bitfenix whisper m 750w

GTX 1080

3x Samsung odyssey g5 1440p 144hz curved monitors

I just bough the 5800x3d on black Friday and the monitors the year before.

The gtx 1080 can still keep up somewhat at 1440p, but I've been putting off playing some games because it can't handle them in surround.

So I want to upgrade to a GPU that will do both 1440p and 3x1440p well and I won't have to upgrade again for as long as possible.

Of course I'd want a 4090, but those are 2000€ here right now.

And the 750W PSU has been good, so I wouldn't want to upgrade it unless I have to.

But at least some 4080s and 7900xtxs have a min. recommendation of 750w, so I'll try it at least.

I'm looking at either Palit 4080 gamerock/ KFA2 4080 vs a PowerColor red devil 7900 xtx.

They should all fit in my define r2 case and seem to have good cooling and low noise.

The 4080s are about 1380€ now and the 7900 xtxs about 1340-1380€ from Amazon and Ebay in Europe.

What would you recommend?

12 minutes ago, woldemort said:

What would you recommend?

The XTX performs slightly better at higher resolutions, but for the most part they are evenly matched.

What it really comes down to, is what software suite do you prefer. Being that you are already on NVIDIA, it might be easier to simply upgrade to another NVIDIA card. Switching to AMD might require a slight learning curve.

Either are really good choices, but the 4080 will have better RT performance and DLSS. Some of these technologies are worth it for certain people. If all you care about is raster performance, they are both close in performance.

50 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

The XTX performs slightly better at higher resolutions, but for the most part they are evenly matched.

What it really comes down to, is what software suite do you prefer. Being that you are already on NVIDIA, it might be easier to simply upgrade to another NVIDIA card. Switching to AMD might require a slight learning curve.

Either are really good choices, but the 4080 will have better RT performance and DLSS. Some of these technologies are worth it for certain people. If all you care about is raster performance, they are both close in performance.

Yeah I thought it might be easier to go with Nvidia, but then again, I've had so many problems with nvidia surround already and they don't seem to care enough to fix it.

But I don't know if AMD's eyefinity is any better?

I've seen RT as just a gimmick from when it launched, but I haven't tried it so don't know what I'm missing.

I would like to try AMD, but still leaning towards nvidia as the 4080 draws slightly less power.

Is there a big difference with AMD smart access memory when I already have an AMD CPU?

Also, I've seen many comparing benchmark results between the two. The performance in all the different reporting seems to "wildly" differ, depending on which games are tested, but also on the same game. Is this just inconsistent testing or better drivers as time goes on?

1 minute ago, woldemort said:

Yeah I thought it might be easier to go with Nvidia, but then again, I've had so many problems with nvidia surround already and they don't seem to care enough to fix it.

But I don't know if AMD's eyefinity is any better?

I've seen RT as just a gimmick from when it launched, but I haven't tried it so don't know what I'm missing.

I would like to try AMD, but still leaning towards nvidia as the 4080 draws slightly less power.

Is there a big difference with AMD smart access memory when I already have an AMD CPU?

Well, people seem to like AMD Eyefinity and I've heard that Surround has its issues. 

Eyefinity is supposed to be superior, but I heard in recent times that has changed. As it also has its fair share of issues, because supposedly AMD has neglected the feature as much as NVIDIA has done with their Surround. 

RT isn't really a gimmick, it looks great, but generally speaking; the FPS hit you take from enabling it is usually not a good tradeoff for the visual enhancement it provides. There are also games that implement it that don't look that much better than with it off.

I would research AMD Eyefinity vs NVIDIA Surround. See what modern opinions you can find on it (post 2020). Then make your decision based on that.

AMD Smart Access Memory is just a Resizable Bar implementation. There shouldn't be a big difference.