Blocking YouTube Ads

Sparky862

On my Samsung TV through YouTube App??

I read about DNS ... setting it on your TV or in your Router. But nothing works??

I logged into my Router (TotoLink) and I set my DNS so that EVERY user or item connected to my wifi gets the DNS. But ads pop up still. Not just in YouTube, but normal websites as well. I know that the device is connected to the DNS because if I run my PC in CMD with ipconfig /all, I can see the DNS is what I connected it to.

But why is it not blocking any form of ads through the DNS?

I pay for Youtube Premium from India. A couple $ per month. No ADS on anything. 🙂

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

5 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

On my Samsung TV through YouTube App??

I read about DNS ... setting it on your TV or in your Router. But nothing works??

DNS ad blocking doesnt work for Youtube because the same servers that serve ads are the ones that also serve videos. The only way to block ads for Youtube is an ad blocker via a web browser. Google is trying to kill that type of blocking off. Youtube Vanced was another way to block ads but I think that got killed off at some point. The easiest ways to get what you want out of Youtube on a TV is to pony up for Youtube Premium OR connect a computer to your TV and stream thru that, because even with Google killing off ad blockers in chrome, Firefox and I think Safari will still have that capability. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

What DNS server(s) are you using?

Unless you're using a DNS server specifically designed to block ads (PiHole, AdGuard, etc) then nothing is going to be blocked. Google DNS, NextDNS, OpenDNS, etc. for the most part don't block anything by default, but especially don't block ads by default.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Youtube Vanced was another way to block ads but I think that got killed off at some point.

The project itself got killed, but the app itself still works fine for the video ads if you have it installed.

That said, ReVanced is a new project that aims to recreate what Vanced did, but without the copyright infringement. It doesn't use any proprietary code and is more of a "patch" that is applied to the actual youtube APK.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

49 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The project itself got killed,

Newpipe is still alive. IDK about it working on a tv but works great on my phone. https://newpipe.net/

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Unless you're using a DNS server specifically designed to block ads (PiHole, AdGuard, etc) then nothing is going to be blocked. Google DNS, NextDNS, OpenDNS, etc. for the most part don't block anything by default, but especially don't block ads by default.

I am using a DNS provided by Adguard. It does get picked up by all my devices, but doesn't block any form of ads. I just googled adguard DNS and used that DNS on their official site 

Not sure of I am doing something wrong or if it's just how the DNS works, basically just masking me from my ISP and not blocking ads 

7 minutes ago, zachfb said:

Newpipe is still alive. IDK about it working on a tv but works great on my phone. https://newpipe.net/

You just download ot to your phone and install a .apk file?

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Pi Hole .... Doesn't this need like a device plugged into your TV?

It's not something you install on the TV?

11 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Pi Hole .... Doesn't this need like a device plugged into your TV?

It's not something you install on the TV?

Pi hole generally is installed on a Raspberry Pi and handles all the DNS requests. You would configured your block and allowed lists in Pi hole and it will block ads. HOWEVER it does NOT work for Youtube. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

For android phones, AdBlock browser plays YT and eliminates the YT ads. it still shows the advertisement done by the creator themselves, though. Don't use the stupid YT app!

On PC, install SponsorBlock add in to chrome. that also cuts out 99% of the creator created promotions (inc. self-promotions). That is one of the many reasons i use an actual PC (that I had left from office upgrades) to watch media. More control and don't have to deal with whatever the TV manufacturer decides (like showing me ads, or removing a Hulu app, or whatever, if they have a fallout with that company)

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Smart tube next is very good, it's nicely like youtube vanced but designed for TV's and has a much more traditional smart TV layout

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If you watch youtube enough that you are putting it up on your tv, then pay for premium. 

13 hours ago, Lurick said:

PiHole

I don’t believe pihole is able to block ads on YouTube reliably. At least that’s what they say

i think it’s because Google hosts YouTube content from the same domain as ads or something

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, starsmine said:

If you watch youtube enough that you are putting it up on your tv, then pay for premium. 

Yes, you use an Indian or Argentinian VPN during Premium registration, enter an address from that region and pay with Revolut or some other similar card that works everywhere; you get premium for some $1.50 monthly, and if you pay yearly it comes out reverb cheaper. And it includes YouTube Music too.

For using it it doesn't need VPN, just when registering.

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

5 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

I don’t believe pihole is able to block ads on YouTube reliably. At least that’s what they say

i think it’s because Google hosts YouTube content from the same domain as ads or something

They also said browser ads aren't blocked which is why I mentioned PiHole and other DNS blockers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

i can confirm this, my pihole doesn't block anything on youtube, but it's a godsend for regular browser ads and especially mobile phone apps where ads are shoved into everything.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

i can confirm this, my pihole doesn't block anything on youtube, but it's a godsend for regular browser ads and especially mobile phone apps where ads are shoved into everything.

Yea my rpi is just sitting collecting dust so im tempted so set it up as a pihole

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 1/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, Donut417 said:

DNS ad blocking doesnt work for Youtube because the same servers that serve ads are the ones that also serve videos. The only way to block ads for Youtube is an ad blocker via a web browser. Google is trying to kill that type of blocking off. Youtube Vanced was another way to block ads but I think that got killed off at some point. The easiest ways to get what you want out of Youtube on a TV is to pony up for Youtube Premium OR connect a computer to your TV and stream thru that, because even with Google killing off ad blockers in chrome, Firefox and I think Safari will still have that capability. 

Actually, someone forked it and is maintaining Vanced here:

https://github.com/jinoo2005609/VancedManager

Still works for me. You must uninstall original vanced first to use it.