VLC Trouble playing from NAS [TrueNAS]

BrownZeus

Hi everyone!

So I have a NAS running TrueNAS that hosts my video collection and I recently came across an issue with playing certain .mkv files.

It just refuses to play certain files off my NAS. Originally I thought it had to do with streaming such large 4k files, however it appears its only certain 4k .mkv files.

The same files, when I copy them off my NAS onto my local machine and play, there are no issues.

I've already tried messing around with MTU sizes, no luck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled VLC, and tried deleting the plugin cache.

I don't think my Samba version is to blame given other videos of various resolutions and size from the exact same file location on the network have NOT given me issues while a small subset has given me issues.

I don't know what else to try. I did try googling it and I'm pretty confident I've tried most of the things recommended from the first few results off google.

What issues do you have when trying to play the files? What is your network connection speed?

1 hour ago, Bdavis said:

What issues do you have when trying to play the files? What is your network connection speed?

"VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:[filepath and filename]"

Checking the log its complaining about a whole bunch of the plugins even before I deleted the plugin cache and reinstalled VLC.

Not too sure what my local wifi speed is but my WAN speed is 300mbps from my ISP so I imagine my gateway wifi is capable around that speed. As previously mentioned I'm able to play my other videos off my nas just fine, just a particular subset

On 1/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, Bdavis said:

Try transcoding the videos to another container or codec standard using handbrake.

You could also try using plex.

Have you tried the solutions listed here?https://www.alphr.com/vlc-unable-open-mrl/

I have tried this, unfortunately no luck. I'll probably do a conversion. Thanks for the attempt to help!