Cpu and gpu throttling after cleaning the surface of the laptop

Wr3ncher_B0i
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

?cologne?  So perfume and alcohol.  Remind me to never touch your computer.  “Cleaned” can mean a lot of different things and the cologne thing says “I do weird and unusual things with my computer”, So the big question is did this cleaning include removing dust bunnies from the fans and radiator fins?   If so AND the computer is multiple years old, it is not impossible the TIM has dried and cracked. 

2023-01-28.txtFirst the log from throttlestop

So ive decided to clean my laptops surface with cologne, and after i cleaned about 10 mins later i noticed throttling. This didnt happen before but i dont think its related to the cologneimage.png.63cf2a143133b82fcab4b729f175fabe.png
my tpl settings

Should i replace the thermal paste inside the laptop? i cleaned the laptop about 2 weeks ago

System specs: Laptop:ideapad 3-15IML05 Laptop - Type 81WB

CPU: Intel I5-10210U

GPU: MX130

RAM: 8gigs 4 in the motherboard

?cologne?  So perfume and alcohol.  Remind me to never touch your computer.  “Cleaned” can mean a lot of different things and the cologne thing says “I do weird and unusual things with my computer”, So the big question is did this cleaning include removing dust bunnies from the fans and radiator fins?   If so AND the computer is multiple years old, it is not impossible the TIM has dried and cracked. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I only cleaned the surface (keyboard and screen section) I did remove the dust from the fans and the radiator fins gently 2-3 weeks ago

35 minutes ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

I only cleaned the surface (keyboard and screen section) I did remove the dust from the fans and the radiator fins gently 2-3 weeks ago

So “probably but not specifically yes” to the dust bunnies thing and no comment about the age of the computer.  That and the “gently” adjective still leave me deeply weirded out. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So “probably but not specifically yes” to the dust bunnies thing and no comment about the age of the computer.  That and the “gently” adjective still leave me deeply weirded out. 

The laptop is 2 years old what i mean by gently is slowly and carefull like very carefull, if the thermal paste did crack can i replace it?

14 minutes ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

The laptop is 2 years old what i mean by gently is slowly and carefull like very carefull, if the thermal paste did crack can i replace it?

Yes, generally.  I suggest looking up a take apart video for your particular model as it involves opening it and removing the cpu heat sink.  Also a good time to clean out the fans and radiators.  It’s important to remove really all the old thermal paste.  One common method is isopropyl alchol and cotton balls till there is no more grey removed. 

re:the explanation

yeah, that really didn’t help.  At all.  Now I have visions of someone sitting on a park bench at the beach with their laptop.

Edited by Bombastinator

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yes, generally.  I suggest looking up a take apart video for your particular model as it involves opening it and removing the cpu heat sink.  Also a good time to clean out the fans and radiators.  It’s important to remove really all the old thermal paste.  One common method is isopropyl alchol and cotton balls till there is no more grey removed. 

re:the explanation

yeah, that really didn’t help.  At all.  Now I have visions of someone sitting on a park bench at the beach with their laptop.

I took a toothbrush lightly sprayed cologne on it and brushed the fan and the radiator fins gently, and also what thermal paste do you recommend?

1 minute ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

I took a toothbrush lightly sprayed cologne on it and brushed the fan and the radiator fins gently, and also what thermal paste do you recommend?

Isopropyl alcohol is a whole bunch cheaper than cologne. High molarity alcohol is often preferred over water because it’s more difficult for it to conduct electricity and it evaporates quickly.  Cologne is alcohol with a bunch of organic hexanes in it that probably don’t help much.  As for thermal paste there isn’t a ton of difference between any of them except Liquid Metal and there are massive issues with that.  Cheapest TIM you can find if you want to save money or Honeywell 7950 if you don’t (it can be hard to get ahold of) 7950 isn’t quite as good as Liquid Metal, but it’s not electrically conductive and doesnt have the chemical problems that Liquid Metal has.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Isopropyl alcohol is a whole bunch cheaper than cologne. High molarity alcohol is often preferred over water because it’s more difficult for it to conduct electricity and it evaporates quickly.  Cologne is alcohol with a bunch of organic hexanes in it that probably don’t help much.  As for thermal paste there isn’t a ton of difference between any of them except Liquid Metal and there are massive issues with that.  Cheapest TIM you can find if you want to save money or Honeywell 7950 if you don’t (it can be hard to get ahold of) 7950 isn’t quite as good as Liquid Metal, but it’s not electrically conductive and doesnt have the chemical problems that Liquid Metal has.

Wait, there is no difference between thermal paste and tim right?

32 minutes ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

Wait, there is no difference between thermal paste and tim right?

Correct. TIM is Thermal InterfaceMaterial which can be paste, putty, or a pad.  That 7950 is sort of between a past and a pad depending on how hot it is. 

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Correct. TIM is Thermal InterfaceMaterial which can be paste, putty, or a pad.  That 7950 is sort of between a past and a pad depending on how hot it is. 

Is a thermal paste better or a thermal pad?

1 hour ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

Is a thermal paste better or a thermal pad?

Depends.  The cloth pads are famously not great.  Very easy to use though.  And reusable.  Most often pads or putty are used because a distance has to be bridged.  7950 is technically a pad, but it’s a very thin one, and it melts so it sort of both a pad and a very runny paste. Phase change stuff is like that.  Look at ice.

Edited by Bombastinator

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends.  The cloth pads are famously not great.  Very easy to use though.  And reusable.  Most often pads or putty are used because a distance has to be bridged.  7950 is technically a pad, but it’s a very thin one, and it melts so it sort of both a pad and a very runny paste. Phase change stuff is like that.  Look at ice.

Im going to buy the thermal pad in a couple of weeks can you recommend a site so i can buy it?

Im going to buy the thermal pad in a couple of weeks can you recommend a site so i can buy it?

I got mine from moddiy which is a Hong Kong company so shipping is by boat. That’s a long time to wait because it will be weeks to acquire the funds and weeks more for the shipping.  It’s sort of ironic because Honeywell is actually based in my city, but the won’t even talk to me. Even so much as to get the names of some realtors.  I’ve considered driving over and knocking on the door.

Edited by Bombastinator

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I got mine from moddiy which is a Hong Kong company so shipping is by boat. That’s a long time to wait because it will be weeks to acquire the funds and weeks more for the shipping.  It’s sort of ironic because Honeywell is actually based in my city, but the won’t even talk to me. Even so much as to get the names of some realtors.  I’ve considered driving over and knocking on the door.

can i buy it from aliexpress? It is closer to my country 

can i buy it from aliexpress? It is closer to my country 

I don’t know.  There’s an LTT on the stuff which said that the Chinese stuff they bought was counterfeit.  It sounded like there were two options but I could on y find moddiy and Hong Kong is China, sort of.  But I found a guy who bought it off moddiy and posted good numbers so their stuff wasn’t fake so that’s where I got it.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know.  There’s an LTT on the stuff which said that the Chinese stuff they bought was counterfeit.  It sounded like there were two options but I could on y find moddiy and Hong Kong is China, sort of.  But I found a guy who bought it off moddiy and posted good numbers so their stuff wasn’t fake so that’s where I got it.

Do i need to change the pad for the gpu too?

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Also im kind of bumping this but when i try a test at throttlestop i enable the turbo speeds the temperature skyrockets when i disable turbo it stays idle

7 hours ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

Also im kind of bumping this but when i try a test at throttlestop i enable the turbo speeds the temperature skyrockets when i disable turbo it stays idle

Quickly jumping temps imply a heat problem.  Your TIM probably needs to be replaced

8 hours ago, Wr3ncher_B0i said:

Do i need to change the pad for the gpu too?

Depends.  Some laptops have the cpu cooler and the gpu cooler as one unit, some don’t. If you have to remove the gpu cold plate you will need to replace that TIM as well simply because it was pulled apart.