Looking for case, motherboard, and fan

ReMagz1

Budget (including currency): USD$500-$1000, can budget more if needed

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Wide variety of games, from Minecraft to Cyberpunk @ 1440p 144hz

Other details: Might be looking to upgrade CPU as well, currently have a i7-9700k. Upgrading from a pre-built, just need new case, motherboard, and fans.

46 minutes ago, ReMagz1 said:

Budget (including currency): USD$500-$1000, can budget more if needed

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Wide variety of games, from Minecraft to Cyberpunk @ 1440p 144hz

Other details: Might be looking to upgrade CPU as well, currently have a i7-9700k. Upgrading from a pre-built, just need new case, motherboard, and fans.

9th gen intel is new enough to be worth using but old enough that motherboards may only be available used.   Any video card?  That’s the biggest affecter of resolution for athat.  Also is there a cpu cooler for that i7 the simple solution is a z390(?) (I’m assuming you’re using the memory from the old device as well, what is it?) 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thermaltake makes good bang for your buck cases.

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

33 minutes ago, tddk25 said:

Thermaltake makes good bang for your buck cases.

I’ve got a core21 I really like. It’s matx/itx only though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Any video card?

I'm using a 1080 from my prebuilt.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

(I’m assuming you’re using the memory from the old device as well, what is it?)

I will be reusing it, it is 2x8GB, along with getting some new RAM, 2x16GB.

4 hours ago, ReMagz1 said:

I'm using a 1080 from my prebuilt.

I will be reusing it, it is 2x8GB, along with getting some new RAM, 2x16GB.

Looking at pcpartpicker Canada there is only 1 new board which is a supermicro for ~$500. Used seems like the way to go as it seems decent boards can be had for a fraction of that.  The majority of boards are atx, so there should be something decent and cheap around.  Do you also need a cpu cooler?  If you don’t want to heavily overclock it there are some pretty cheap 6pipe dual tower air coolers out right now.  The thermalright peerless 120 is pretty cheap. If you’ve got SSDs an airflow case will be quieter, if there are a bunch of 3.5” mechanical hard drives you may do better with an isolation case.