New to Keebs: Am I looking for a unicorn keyboard?

Thunderkhoac4213

Linus got me excited about custom keyboards (ironically not Plouffe) with his one video, so I wanted to try out building my own keyboard. 

Spoiler

I'm coming from a Logitech G915 (Blue)/TKL(Brown). I like the board but now I'm finding that the keys aren't what I'm looking for anymore. However, my only point of reference is my girlfriend's Razer Blackwidow with green switches, which is obnoxiously loud when she types (that spacebar sounds about 24x louder than it should be).

What I like about it is that it's nice and heavy, with no flex while I type. I love that it has dedicated media controls, and the G Hub software is robust enough for me as an average user who doesn't use macros or key assignments often. 

What I don't like is the keys and switches. The blues, especially if I'm gaming at night when I can't sleep, are particularly loud and clicky. I like the short throw, but the switches are starting to feel a tad mushy to me (both the blues and browns).

What I'm looking for: I prefer a full-size keyboard with dedicated media controls with wireless connectivity (2.4gHz is a must, Bluetooth is nice to have). I like the look and portability of a 96%/1800 compact keyboard, but I worry about compatibility if I want to change out keycaps, and I can't decide between quietly clicky and straight tactile switches.

What I can compromise on: TKL with multimedia knob, wired connection

Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to start?

For example, I rather like the look of this one but I'm not sure about the quality of the manufacturer: https://a.co/d/dxThzop

The other one I've had my eye on is the GMMK 2 (not pro), but what's holding me back is that it's a wired connection which is something I'd like to avoid for the sake of cable clutter. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB, Lin Li UniFan V2 x9
Motherboard: Asus ProArt B550-CREATOR
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 64 GB (4x 16 GB) DDR4-4000
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT 

Well... I've got a Ducky with MX Cherry blue switches. I also have a Razer Nostromo, which has lasted a seriously long time. It's a membrane switch, so it's quiet, and I've used it so long, I'm used to it.

If it died, I would probably get one of the Razer gamepads with the optical linear switches, though I'm worried that I live in an area that's too dusty for long term use. D:

As for specific keyboard suggestions, I can't really help you there. I went with a 85% Ducky for my main PC, and a 65% for my server, and eventually I'll get a mechanical 10 key for data entry.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 4 weeks later...

So just a little update for anyone who's searching for something similar to this topic. I ended up wandering down the keyboard rabbit trail for a while and ended up customizing my own. GMMK2 + Glorious Kailh Pro Purple + Glorious Keycaps. Pretty standard, but just different enough for me to justify the DIY experience (P.S. definitely try it at least once, very satisfying to put together your own keyboard, troubleshoot activation, do typing tests, just ❤️ ) 

I ended up building a couple more keyboards (GMMK2 96% + Glorious Kailh Box Whites + Aura White keycaps; Redragon Devajaras + Kailh Bronze (maybe copper? I distinctly remember them as being "speed clicky switches," and Switch and Click being kind of ambivalent of this kind of switch, I can see why), and another board with Gateron Blue--ugh).

My daily driver ended up ironically being fully prebuilt by Cooler Master, and in my opinion, stiff competition for the GMMK Pro: the CK720/CK721 (wired/wireless, respectively). The most noticeable difference for comparison is going to be that it's a 65% keyboard vs GMMK Pro's 75%, but I've found in my use that I don't use the function button nearly as often as I think I do, and there hasn't been that much of an adjustment from a full-size keyboard (I daily-drove a G915 before this), and I've found that having the multimedia knob is very useful once you get used to Cooler Master's "layers". 

(Ironically as I'm writing this, I just discovered that ShortCircuit also produced an unboxing/review video with none other than Plouffe. I'll wait to finish writing this before watching.)

My configuration for the CK720 was silver chassis, white keys, Kailh Box White V2 clicky switches, and it comes with a foam insert already in the board. Very nice. I don't think I'm a particularly heavy typist, but having the foam in there made it a very enjoyable clicky experience without being overwhelmingly so (for comparison, Gateron Blues sounded and felt extremely cheap, and they were unfortunately sold for about the same price from Glorious; if you like clicky, do yourself a favor and get Box Whites or something similar, I can't recommend them enough). One thing I would've liked to have seen added was perhaps O-rings, and perhaps lighten the bottoming-out experience even just a little bit more. 

The box whites are great for a lighter-touch typist (45g actuation force, so the specs say).

My biggest complaint, however, is for Cooler Master's "Master Plus" software. It's just kinda "big sigh" when I have to download and install yet another peripheral program to remap keys, add macros, adjust lighting, etc. It would just be really nice to have something open-source. BUT not my biggest complaint. I consider myself to be relatively tech savvy. I went into the software, and I could see how to change and adjust lighting on my keyboard. But there was no button to "apply" that I could see. At all. Tried scrolling, dragging, maximizing, moving to another display, and there was seemingly no way to apply your settings. You can scroll through the stock light shows with the handy scroll wheel, but good luck adding a custom scene, remapping keys, or adding macros. None of it seems to apply, but you can add profiles for when CM remembers to update their software sometime down the road. 

The best part about this keyboard is that it's fully customizable if it turns out you don't like some aspect or just want to explore more options. Hot-swappable keycaps and switches, lubed stabilizers, removable aluminium top plate for easier cleaning. And a big plus, the stock keycaps have yet to show any oil shine! Layers and alternate functions are easily visible from regular typing height. 

One downside is that there's no included wrist-rest in this model, but on the CK721 (wireless) model, there is an included wrist-rest. Surely it couldn't have made that much of a difference in the price point? After all, it's only USD $20 between the CK720 and CK721. Last I saw on Amazon, both the wireless and wired versions were going for the same price (although you seem to get cheaper switches in the wireless version than you do the wired--except if you go for the 30th anniversary edition, which comes with an iridescent top plate and clicky keys, which is another +$20 USD markup). 

Overall, extremely pleasant typing experience with this as my daily driver. At $100 each? I might buy more. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB, Lin Li UniFan V2 x9
Motherboard: Asus ProArt B550-CREATOR
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 64 GB (4x 16 GB) DDR4-4000
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT