Want to set up new NAS once (and right)

I am about to set up my first NAS but want to make sure I’m setting myself up for success and have some experienced eyes take a look before proceeding. Here’s where I am currently at:

What I’m seeking in a NAS:

·         Data sharing – both by multiple local devices and remote access

·         Expandable storage – I have accumulated about 1TB of data over 3 decades (not a data hog). Planning on 4TB for the NAS for now.

·         Tools and support that can expand as my skills/knowledge grow.

·         Suited for personal project management and record keeping data across multiple devices.  I stream all entertainment, so data sharing/file management > data storage.

I’ve selected the Synology DS220+. Here’s my rationale:

·         Data storage/physical size: 2-bay NAS fills my anticipated data needs and takes up relatively little room.

·         Software: reviews consistently note the ease of use and superior functionality of the Synology OS.

·         Broad range of features: reviews indicate a rich selection of easy to implement apps.

·         Support: what I’ve seen seems to indicate it is average or better.

·         Reputation: this unit appears in the top three of nearly all of the NAS “best of” lists that I have seen.

·         I considered the Asustor Drivestor 2 AS1102T, but ease of use and overwhelmingly positive reviews landed me solidly on the side of the DS220+.

Here is what I intend as the setup for the DS 220+:

·         1 WD Red Plus 4TB HDD (this will be about 4X my current data needs).

·         RAID selection: either Basic or JBOD. Leaning toward Basic as I prefer separate HDDs in the case of failure.

·         Btrfs – needed for Synology apps I’m interested in.

·         Local backup: external 1TB SSD USB (my current backup, will be replaced as data ceiling is approached).

·         Remote backup: TBD, will be connected by LAN to a separate building on my property.

·         Cloud backup: cloud drive backup for small subset of most sensitive/critical data

·         Remote access: TBD, leaning OpenVPN. Intend to add later after more research, but any thoughts welcome now.

Questions:

·         Have I missed anything in making my selection of a 2-bay? And of the DS220+?

·         Business continuity issues are not a worry and I’ll back up regularly, so thinking Basic over RAID 1 for now. I understand the risk of data loss between backups. Have I missed other risks in making that choice?  

·         As I investigate remote backup storage, is it as simple as picking up external storage that can be accessed at a remote location, or should I consider getting another NAS for backup?

·         Any other thoughts based on info above?

so will this nas be used for backing up important content?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

This first NAS will be the main data repository and will contain important content. Backup will be an external USB SSD, a remotely located external HDD (or a second NAS), and a small subset of the data which I guess you could call uberimportant will be also backed up via cloud.