I had working wifi, not so much anymore.

Once upon a time… I had working wifi, not so much anymore.

Quick background, then on to the problem.  I actually live in a small log cabin near(ish) to the Canadian border. Which is relevant because that means I have a satellite connection to the internet. For several years that meant, the trickle supplied from HughesNet’s satellite.  Then came Starlink to the rescue, and I love it.  I get soooooo much more for less money.  I got in on the beta and have been happy ever since, until my original dish (aka Dishy McFlatface) quit dishing, that is. One message sent to Starlink and a few hours later they said my dish was bad and they would sent me a refurbished model 2 dish as a replacement.  It took awhile to arrive, but once it did, all was fine, except for my PC.  Both Macs, all of the phones and tablets in the house and the Android TV all came back to life right away.  Not so much for the PC.  I’ve now made it worse by following YouTube “experts” (files were deleted that I wish had not been) and now I’m here with hat in hand…

The wifi is not working.  At this point, I’ve attempted to reinstall drivers but they do not show up.  The device Manager does not list any WIFI devices, even after “Show hidden devices” and “Scan for hardware changes”. There is no WIFI under “Network Connections.” A ping to “ping 127.1.1.1” returns as excepted. 

I’m still new to PCs and am clearly in over my head.  I tried a reinstall of Win 10 today (with the keep data and apps setting) but no joy. 

Looking for any help I can find. 

System info below.  

Thanks,

Get Starlink my dude wish you nuckz had spectrum internet 

3 hours ago, emcee2 said:

Once upon a time… I had working wifi, not so much anymore.

Quick background, then on to the problem.  I actually live in a small log cabin near(ish) to the Canadian border. Which is relevant because that means I have a satellite connection to the internet. For several years that meant, the trickle supplied from HughesNet’s satellite.  Then came Starlink to the rescue, and I love it.  I get soooooo much more for less money.  I got in on the beta and have been happy ever since, until my original dish (aka Dishy McFlatface) quit dishing, that is. One message sent to Starlink and a few hours later they said my dish was bad and they would sent me a refurbished model 2 dish as a replacement.  It took awhile to arrive, but once it did, all was fine, except for my PC.  Both Macs, all of the phones and tablets in the house and the Android TV all came back to life right away.  Not so much for the PC.  I’ve now made it worse by following YouTube “experts” (files were deleted that I wish had not been) and now I’m here with hat in hand…

The wifi is not working.  At this point, I’ve attempted to reinstall drivers but they do not show up.  The device Manager does not list any WIFI devices, even after “Show hidden devices” and “Scan for hardware changes”. There is no WIFI under “Network Connections.” A ping to “ping 127.1.1.1” returns as excepted. 

I’m still new to PCs and am clearly in over my head.  I tried a reinstall of Win 10 today (with the keep data and apps setting) but no joy. 

Looking for any help I can find. 

System info below.  

Thanks,

oh try running your command off your router if its plugged through a modem to a satellite i know this sounds stupid but completely shut everything that is linked to your wifi and only hook up your pc or try to if not go to your admin settings and make sure your DNS server is correct and that its able to send out wifi signal...sometimes it can be a bad wifi adapter too mine i have plugged into the usb port on mine went to shit after a few months...better off buying and internal PCIE wifi card for cheap. Hope this helps out   

FYI Bluetooth is also not working and also does show up in the Device Manager. (It was deleted, and needs to be added. Any ideas how)?

Starlink router is wifi only.  My problem is with drivers not showing up. I think.

If it doesn't show up in device manager, it's not detected at all, so drivers should not load. 

It could be your wireless card just died all the sudden. It's very rare but it happens.

If the wireless card is in a pci-e slot, i could be somehow the wireless card popped out of the slot. Maybe open the side panel and while the computer is turned off, wiggle it into the slot to make sure it's seated well, or unscrew, unplug, plug again to make sure it sits well. 

Maybe try moving it in another pci-e slot, just in case something happened to that pci-e slot causing it to no longer work)

Maybe try cleaning the edge connector of the pci-e card just in case there's crap on it, oxidation from humidity etc - use a soft eraser to rub the gold fingers, use a wet paper towel (with water or sanitary alcohol or isopropyl alcohol) to wipe it when done, let it dry then plug back in.  The pci-e slot itself .. take a sheet of paper, fold it several times to get the right thickness, slide it in the slot and move the paper across the length of the slot - the paper is abrasive enough to break some of the oxides that may be on the contacts in the slot.

If it's a card that's mounted in a m.2 connector (maybe near the io shield) , again, make sure it's still seated properly into the slot. With some computers, the M.2 slot shares resources with other things like sata ports, pci-e slots, but if you didn't add or change anything to the computer it shouldn't be an issue. 

Double check that you didn't disable the wireless card from the BIOS by accident, or maybe the bios was reset to defaults disabling the wireless card somehow ... have a look in the bios for anything related to onboard peripherals , wireless etc etc 

If the wireless card is detected and drivers load, I would have suspected an issue of your card being 5ghz only but the starlink being 2.4 ghz only or crap like that, but I think starlink's both 2.4g and 5g 

Make sure the antennas are properly inserted in the wireless card connectors and tightened well (if the connectors are the screw type)

The wifi is built in to the motherboard, so not a card issue. Bios for wifi is enabled.  When it first stopped working (when the dish went bad) the devices did show up in the device manager as greyed out (after “Show hidden devices” and “Scan for hardware changes” were selected). I deleted these from the device manager (following a tutorial). They said they would automatically be reinstalled upon reboot, but no. So one of the things I need to do is to some how get them reinstalled where they show up in the Device Manager.