Jump to content

CH314A programmer help!

So I updated the bios on my HP prebuilt recently, and after about an hour it froze and never turned back on. I bought a bios programmer and got the drivers installed for it, but no matter how I orient the clip on the bios chip, the power light on the programmer fades and windows plays the disconnected device sound. I think I have the clip cable connected correctly, and I’m connected to the chip labeled “bios” on the motherboard. Can someone help me?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, was that thing mor or less expensive than a refurb motherboard?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Out of curiosity, was that thing mor or less expensive than a refurb motherboard?

You mean that kind of USB programmer ??

Should be like around $10 at most.

 

2 hours ago, Earthlyhuman said:

So I updated the bios on my HP prebuilt recently, and after about an hour it froze and never turned back on. I bought a bios programmer and got the drivers installed for it, but no matter how I orient the clip on the bios chip, the power light on the programmer fades and windows plays the disconnected device sound. I think I have the clip cable connected correctly, and I’m connected to the chip labeled “bios” on the motherboard. Can someone help me?

 

 

IIRC, usually the most common problem is defective clip (either the clip itself or the wiring).

Although the chance of defective programmer also there (mass produced cheap stuffs common problem).

But, do recheck the connection, make sure you line up pin 1 correctly. If your USB Programmer is pinout-ed the same like the one I used to have, I think you're connecting the pin1 on the clip to pin5 on the zif socket.

 

Also, IIRC that that kind of USB programmer got a design flaw, it runs at 5v all the time on the data line atleast, while most BIOS chip runs at 2.7-3.5v. People usually mod it so that it runs at 3.3v or use a 3.3v adapter board. Just pointing it out, I might be wrong.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Also, IIRC that that kind of USB programmer got a design flaw, it runs at 5v all the time on the data line atleast, while most BIOS chip runs at 2.7-3.5v. People usually mod it so that it runs at 3.3v or use a 3.3v adapter board. Just pointing it out, I might be wrong.

That does look exactly the same as mine which has the design flaw

Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 960 Turbo OC, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.2-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2 OC, 500GB HDD

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus GTX 760 DC2 OC, 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 250GB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×