Need help with ram/cpu limitations

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
19 minutes ago, bitezadusto3731 said:

(probably a waste of money but I value the aesthetics of all the RAM slots filled as long as it doesn’t negatively effect performance) 

It will be, running quad rank Samsung B die is a nightmare, and getting 3600 CL14 to work is even harder. If you actually need 64GB of RAM, get a 4x16GB kit of single rank memory, something like 3200CL16 or 3600 CL18, that will end up faster than failing to run 3600 like you will with that setup. 

23 minutes ago, bitezadusto3731 said:

I’m curious as to if the listed speeds means it will run 4 dual rank significantly slower than 2 dual rank and also if it can go past 3200 MT/s using XMP or if I have to manually mess with the infinity fabric ratios.

That's just the official supported speeds, XMP will let it go beyond that. Generally the limits for the Ryzen memory controller are 4800MT/s for single rank, 4000MT/s for dual rank, and between 3200 and 3466MT/s for quad rank, though those are all dependent on the exact memory IC you plan on running as well as how good your memory controller is (B die is generally the hardest and what those values describe predominantly). 

That said, with a 5800X3D, there's no point in going for high end RAM, the 3DvCache make RAM speed almost irrelevant for the vast majority of tasks. Besides, if you want to be going for high end kits of RAM you would've been better off going for AM5 and a kit of DDR5 instead as a good kit of DDR5 is cheaper than a good kit of DDR4 at this point. A cheap 3200 CL16 kit will give no noticeable performance downsides compared to a 3800 CL14 kit (generally the most optimal kit you can get) in anything but the most synthetic of RAM tests. 

I am finishing up purchases for my new build and one of the last parts left is memory. I have an x570s MSI tomahawk and Ryzen 5800X3D. I was looking on the 5800X3D page and was curious how to interpret the max memory speeds listed. I was planning on purchasing 4 dual rank 16GB 3600 MT/s GSkill. I should note the timings of the planned purchase RAM are 14-15-15-35-link provided: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/166/1604305845/F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR-Specification

(probably a waste of money but I value the aesthetics of all the RAM slots filled as long as it doesn’t negatively effect performance) 

I’m curious as to if the listed speeds means it will run 4 dual rank significantly slower than 2 dual rank and also if it can go past 3200 MT/s using XMP or if I have to manually mess with the infinity fabric ratios.

CAB23F46-A754-49FE-A726-63D7D7067F6D.png

19 minutes ago, bitezadusto3731 said:

It will be, running quad rank Samsung B die is a nightmare, and getting 3600 CL14 to work is even harder. If you actually need 64GB of RAM, get a 4x16GB kit of single rank memory, something like 3200CL16 or 3600 CL18, that will end up faster than failing to run 3600 like you will with that setup. 

23 minutes ago, bitezadusto3731 said:

That's just the official supported speeds, XMP will let it go beyond that. Generally the limits for the Ryzen memory controller are 4800MT/s for single rank, 4000MT/s for dual rank, and between 3200 and 3466MT/s for quad rank, though those are all dependent on the exact memory IC you plan on running as well as how good your memory controller is (B die is generally the hardest and what those values describe predominantly). 

That said, with a 5800X3D, there's no point in going for high end RAM, the 3DvCache make RAM speed almost irrelevant for the vast majority of tasks. Besides, if you want to be going for high end kits of RAM you would've been better off going for AM5 and a kit of DDR5 instead as a good kit of DDR5 is cheaper than a good kit of DDR4 at this point. A cheap 3200 CL16 kit will give no noticeable performance downsides compared to a 3800 CL14 kit (generally the most optimal kit you can get) in anything but the most synthetic of RAM tests. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Would this be a good fit? It appears to be single rank 16gb in a set of 4. https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF432C16BBAK4_64.pdf