Pc doesn’t get to login screen

Swiizy

This started later last night but after I start up my PC then get to the screen right before you type in your password I normally just press a button then put in my password but now it doesn’t get me to the login screen. Now it freezes right before then after a minute it’ll go to the screen right before and show the time and date. I’ve tried starting up in safe mode but it always asks me for the password to my account but it always tells me it’s wrong when I know for sure the passwords right.  I’ve also tried resetting the pc entirely but it give me the same screen as booting into safe mode.

1 hour ago, Swiizy said:

This started later last night but after I start up my PC then get to the screen right before you type in your password I normally just press a button then put in my password but now it doesn’t get me to the login screen. Now it freezes right before then after a minute it’ll go to the screen right before and show the time and date. I’ve tried starting up in safe mode but it always asks me for the password to my account but it always tells me it’s wrong when I know for sure the passwords right.  I’ve also tried resetting the pc entirely but it give me the same screen as booting into safe mode.

Password or PIN?  Part of the problem here is that could be any of several points depending on settings.   The definition of “reset” also seems to vary depending on who you talk to.
perhaps further defining you terminology may help.

My temptation would be to flash the cmos (which removes all kinds of things and may have been included in that ‘reset’) and then spam the delete key after a repower while watching the post lights to see if any of them go on or off and when.  This gets you into bios which isn’t windows at all.   From there you can check to see if any of your hardware has an issue. 

it’s not impossible you have a windows install corruption somewhere, or even a toasted drive. That account may be dead.  I had a friend who claimed for a while that the moral to every story ever written was “always make backups”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Password or PIN?  Part of the problem here is that could be any of several points depending on settings.   The definition of “reset” also seems to vary depending on who you talk to.
perhaps further defining you terminology may help.

My temptation would be to flash the cmos (which removes all kinds of things and may have been included in that ‘reset’) and then spam the delete key after a repower while watching the post lights to see if any of them go on or off and when.  This gets you into bios which isn’t windows at all.   From there you can check to see if any of your hardware has an issue. 

it’s not impossible you have a windows install corruption somewhere, or even a toasted drive. That account may be dead.  I had a friend who claimed for a while that the moral to every story ever written was “always make backups”

Yes sorry I meant the PIN. When I said reset I meant a complete reset on the computer so wiping everything. I’ve also tried flashing the cmos and it didn’t help. I’ve went into my bios and everything was fine. If it is a windows corruption how would I be able to fix that?

16 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

Yes sorry I meant the PIN. When I said reset I meant a complete reset on the computer so wiping everything. I’ve also tried flashing the cmos and it didn’t help. I’ve went into my bios and everything was fine. If it is a windows corruption how would I be able to fix that?

Again, does not help.  You used the word ‘reset’ to describe the word reset.  Adding really only that it was a ‘complete reset’.  This could be anything between Clear cmos and then wipe the hard drive and do a clean install to simply Loading a previous snapshot, or even just a refresh.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Again, does not help.  You used the word ‘reset’ to describe the word reset.  Adding really only that it was a ‘complete reset’.  This could be anything between Clear cmos and then wipe the hard drive and do a clean install to simply Loading a previous snapshot, or even just a refresh.

I said a complete reset like wiping all the drives completely

7 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

I said a complete reset like wiping all the drives completely

So clean install. Implication then is it’s the drive itself.  Or the save file.   Maybe run crystaldiskinfo to see if the drive has any issues.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So clean install. Implication then is it’s the drive itself.  Or the save file.   Maybe run crystaldiskinfo to see if the drive has any issues.

We’ll I can’t get into the computer at all so I can’t really run anything

6 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

We’ll I can’t get into the computer at all so I can’t really run anything

Put a bootable thumbdrive ahead of the drive in the boot cue then and boot off that instead.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Put a bootable thumbdrive ahead of the drive in the boot cue then and boot off that instead.

I’ve tried that and it still doesn’t want to let me put my pin in

18 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

I’ve tried that and it still doesn’t want to let me put my pin in

Are you using bitlocker by any chance? So the pin storage is horked somehow.  This was already known.   Still could be the drive or the save. Make a different account.  

Edited by Bombastinator

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Are you using bitlocker by any chance? So the pin storage is horked somehow.  This was already known.   Still could be the drive or the save. Make a different account.  

I am not using bitlocker. I can’t make another account unless I can do it from the bios

27 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

I am not using bitlocker. I can’t make another account unless I can do it from the bios

You could also do it from another instance of the OS, but you’re going to have to boot off something other than that drive to do it

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You could also do it from another instance of the OS, but you’re going to have to boot off something other than that drive to do it

I’ve tried installing windows on my other drive after I took out the drive that already had windows on it but it wouldn’t boot up the windows install. It might’ve been the wrong usb drive with the windows install on it but I don’t think it was.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Okay so I was using the wrong one and now I have the drive. Should I just install it on my other drive and delete windows off the original?

Making a drive bootable for windows is complex.  Much moreso than for other OSes.  I don’t know why.  There is an app you need to run that will I think both install the OS and make it bootable, at which point the usb key is more or less an artifact.  One thing that comes to mind is most usb keys are formatted Xfat, and to work it might require , for example, ntfs.  It’s not the only requirement though.

12 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

Okay so I was using the wrong one and now I have the drive. Should I just install it on my other drive and delete windows off the original?

I don’t know what this means I’m afraid.  For some reason I’m not parsing that sentance.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know what this means I’m afraid.  For some reason I’m not parsing that sentance.

I have a usb stick with a windows install on it. I’m trying it now but it says it can’t install on my SSD because it has to be a MBR partition table? It would install on my hard drive but I don’t really want windows on my HDD

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Okay well I tried to install it to my HDD and it had an error and wouldn’t install. So I don’t know what to do now 

7 hours ago, Swiizy said:

I have a usb stick with a windows install on it. I’m trying it now but it says it can’t install on my SSD because it has to be a MBR partition table? It would install on my hard drive but I don’t really want windows on my HDD

Yet another phrasing issue:  is the HDD mentioned an actual HDD (mechanical hard-drive with platters and heads and stuff) or are you using the term to refer to a generic piece of storage media?

There are two kinds of partition tables for these purposes: MBR (the old one) and UEFI (the new one) MBR isn’t just old it’s real real old. It’s still around though. Your ssd is formatted UEFI.  I don’t know if they even can be formatted MBR.  The thumbdrive is for reasons unknown to me, formatted apparently MBR.  There has been a subtle drive for many years to slowly push out MBR on the grounds that it has fragility and security problems and just generally isn’t as good for many things (though for a few it’s actually slightly faster).  So for example there is a tool to change from MBR but afaik no tool to change to MBR. What I suspect you need to do is have that thumb drive with a UEFI rather than MBR format if you want to put a bootable windows on you HDD which apparently is something you DON’T want to do anyway.  I assume therefore the SSD (which you DO? want to boot off of?) is different than the the SSD unless it’s not, if so I don’t understand why it matters that you can’t put an OS on a drive you don’t want to anyway. Why did you attempt that?