Thinkpad

OhYou_

This is my thinkpad, there are not many like it. I've put this together over the past few years and few thousand dollars, but it is finally at it's limit for now. 

Specs: 
i7-3615QE cpu (bga swap)
16GB ram
RTX3060 gpu (enclosure)
1440p 100% AdobeRGB 500nit display

The egpu is the final step in this setup. The GPU is a MSI aero itx series. Overall there are a lot of modifications to get that to work:
cooler shroud delete, cooler modified slightly, low profile power adapter (modified to be even lower) case modified to accept dual 60mm noctua fans, board power modified for 8 pin Dell d220p-01 input and 8 pin output, board modified for fan power plugs.
(the case eventually needs to have a hole cut in for the power supply as it is just poking out the pci-e slot with the bracket off. 
the gpu bracket may also get cut to fit that. 

I haven't done much testing yet, it plays Valheim at 1440p high at about 30-40fps rendering to the internal display, no idea how much more it would be to the external, probably 40-55. 

20230124_140512.jpg

Can you upload some more pictures? That sounds stupid but awesome (and like something I'd do), I want to know more!

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Of which part? 

Here's some of the making of the gpu fit

Can see the cooler is just slightly bent down on each wing while the center stays where it is. It would not clear the heat pipe ends to the top of the case otherwise. 

20230116_080947.thumb.jpg.47eaa243726601e4386db01f17c19134.jpg20230119_131741.thumb.jpg.85397a44ba68eb3afb04f5c1e778bb90.jpg20230124_122543.thumb.jpg.e3b59a85807a1c6826b95478d8669620.jpg

one more of the absolute state of the I/O rn. 

The gpu should also stand up straight, it just isn't right now because the power cable kinda naturally wants to push it over. 

20230124_153406.thumb.jpg.dc788370379fc15dfb2a1194a4cbca71.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 4:39 PM, OhYou_ said:

i7-3615QE cpu (bga swap)

Wow! So you legit desoldered the old CPU and soldered in the new CPU? Did you do it yourself, and on your own equipment?

I love this kind of stuff. Making shit work beyond practicality because you want to is awesome. Long live your setup. I hope you get many enjoyable years out of it. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I reached out to XY Tech for the cpu swap. 
They already do the work and many other mods to the x230 model of thinkpads so I figured they would be the best bet for doing one with the T430s thunderbolt board.

It wasnt entirely a necessary upgrade as I think the original i7 3520m dual core is a bit better in a lot of cases due to it's 3.8GHz turbo (slight oc can be done with unlocked bios)
The 3615qe is very much 3ghz  all core and even then you may need to manually throttle that as it will happily sit at 102c in some games and cause pretty big lag spikes. 
But I wanted it anyway just because lol, and people would probably make fun of me for having an s model because its cpu is soldered and cant be upgraded. Well it can, just for a lot more money.