The haters were right... I'm wasting my money - LTT Labs Update

jakkuh_t
Is lever arm not a concern so equipment not being anchored in the back is fine?
Painter's tape for labelling hard drives and boxes are fine. Cords u have to fold the sticky halves together juust right ha

18 hours ago, abit-sean said:

As a ex IT manager I hope my team work more professionally than this, but somehow I doubt it. But all my installs look way better than this, still fun to watch though. I give it a solid 5/10 with 10/10 for effort.

As a manager, you should really know what your team is doing, how they are working etc. Always frightens me when managers (specially project maangers) has no idea of what the people they are managing are doing. Wonder why no-one likes a manager these days.

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We are perfectly capable of reading an MSDS, cracking the bay doors, and putting in some box fans. 

Sorry, I didn't wanted to imply that. English is my second language so sometimes I don't express myself properly. I should've had worded it better.

What I meant was if you and your team was following the proper MSDS because a lot of people forgets or don't realize that concrete paint can be extremely dangerous and because if the people doing it didn't knew that, it could give them lifelong issues and a lot of trouble to you.

4 hours ago, ouroesa said:

As a manager, you should really know what your team is doing, how they are working etc. Always frightens me when managers (specially project maangers) has no idea of what the people they are managing are doing. Wonder why no-one likes a manager these days.

I always knew what my team was doing, running a small department I had to be hands on a lot as well. I've worked my up through the ranks, starting as a apprentice when I was just 16. I missed the hands on stuff so much that I've now stepped back from management and got a job working on the technical side again, I am much happier and have a better work life balance. 

What laptop is Dan using? Or is it a 3d printed briefcase? 

On 1/25/2023 at 2:17 AM, abit-sean said:

Wonder why no-one likes a manager these days.

I've been a Assitant GM for 3 years and I can tell you from experience I want to cry on a daily basis

Jokes aside it's mostly people want the pay but don't want to do the job, at least in my experience. 

My company has stated that on average 1/10 promotees that go up tend to either step down or quit within a 2 week period, which is kinda mind-boggling just thinking about how much that actually is. No one wants to move up it seems 

OMG UDP Cable?!

I only buy S/FTP one since I dont want have any noise...

From AT. :x

On 1/24/2023 at 1:13 AM, leadeater said:

Get a label printer that has cable wrap/roller over mode, 24mm tape. Wrap it nicely around the cable so there is no stupid tag flapping around and dual label each end with what it is and what the other end is. Do the same for your patching cables.

Go the extra step and spreadsheet each cabinet and patch panel/port and have column for where it goes, matching the labeling on the cables obviously. 

--snip--

See how much better the top 2 rows are compared to the 3rd bottom one, missing the other end label which in my opinion should always be done but hey at least label them this way at a minimum.

--snip--

The above labeler isn't even expensive

Reveal hidden contents

Secret LTX plan, bring labeler with me and break in to LMG offices and label all their cables.

muahaha-evil-laugh.gif

At my work, we design and build panels for industrial applications that have a ton of wiring that's usually routed between terminal blocks and devices through raceways. This also usually includes CAT5/CAT6 cables and antenna cables. For the labelling of the possibly 100s of wires that will go into 1m x 1m panel, we use a printer that prints out labelled heat shrink tubes. They work wonders for creating clear and concise labelling. Along with electrical and CAD drawings it makes these panels extremely easy to trouble shoot. Which is a god send because the panels are usually extremely dense with the vast majority of the volume of the panel being occupied.

We have a couple Brady printers, one is loaded with die cut heat shrink pieces on a roll that work for most applications and one that can print continuous pieces of heat shrink.

See below.

Spoiler

i7100_Standard_v08.jpg

BMP21-PLUS_Family_B-342_22-16G.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

1 hour ago, trag1c said:

At my work, we design and build panels for industrial applications that have a ton of wiring that's usually routed between terminal blocks and devices through raceways. This also usually includes CAT5/CAT6 cables and antenna cables. For the labelling of the possibly 100s of wires that will go into 1m x 1m panel, we use a printer that prints out labelled heat shrink tubes. They work wonders for creating clear and concise labelling. Along with electrical and CAD drawings it makes these panels extremely easy to trouble shoot. Which is a god send because the panels are usually extremely dense with the vast majority of the volume of the panel being occupied.

We have a couple Brady printers, one is loaded with die cut heat shrink pieces on a roll that work for most applications and one that can print continuous pieces of heat shrink.

See below.

Reveal hidden contents

i7100_Standard_v08.jpg

BMP21-PLUS_Family_B-342_22-16G.jpg

The Brother I showed also can use these. We gave them a try but decided against using them because the things we most often label and pre-terminated fibre so the shrink ratio required was too much. Also you can't repeat the label writing so it's visible all around the cable.

I did like the shrink tubes more as a label itself, more secure and reliable to stay on for long time, but just wasn't really an option for us.

8 hours ago, UndefinedException said:

Panasonic Toughbook tablets

There is also Getac from China as an Big Player and some "small" like Honeywell and other...

From AT. :x