Zotac RTX 3070 TI AMP Holo Crashing Issues

Rynell

Hi All,

A friend of mine has been having issues with his Zotac 3070 TI crashing during games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

His DX9-DX10 games have been alright but has just been having issues with these two games. I also moved his video card into my machine temporarily to see if I can replicate the issue, and it is not.

He is currently using my ROG STRIX 2080TI and hasnt been having issues since. I also moved his video card into my machine temporarily to see if I can replicate the issue, and I haven't

been crashing on the games he tested.  Here are the general steps that most  techy people would approach this. I'll post both the rigs:

My Build:

ASUS Prime-P X570 

Ryzen 5600X

16GB DDR4 GSKILL Trident Z Neo 3600MHz

ROG Strix 2080TI(Currently swapped with his 3070TI)

Corsair RM 750X 

2 WD NVMe Drives one 256GB Black and 1TB Blue Both Gen 3

His Build:

ASUS Prime-P Z690

i7 12700K

32GB DDR4 GSKILL TRIDENT Z 3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 TI AMP HOLO(Currently swapped with my 2080TI)

Corsair RMX850X 850W PSU 

1TB WD Blue NVMe  M.2 Gen 4

2TB HDD 

So the steps I took to check his build like anyone else in our expensive hobby 😛

-Tested all hardware with PC Doctor All Passed (of course with a grain of salt, hard to tell when CPUs or NVMe drives fail sometimes, but it isnt)

-BIOS Update to Current (Resolved Most Blue Screens)

-DDU To reinstall his nVidia Drivers

-Disabled XMP, did not make a difference. 

- Using Two Separate  PCIe Rails on the GPU instead of using a single rail to supply power to both Video Card(Crashes are consistent, extremely rare BSOD cases)

-Tested a 144Hz Monitor with displayport to see if his two 60Hz monitors on HDMI were actually causing the issue due to how unstable HDMI 2.X is right now, no change.

-Put in my 2080TI, no crashing since. Used his video card in my rig, cannot replicate issue no crashing either. 

CP2077 and RDR2 would last about 15-30 minutes before crashing with the 3070TI in his build. With my 2080TI he has not crashed since.

We did migrate a pre-exising Windows 10 Install to his current rig before to make sure he keeps his applications, updated all the drivers with new ones.

I'm going to try a fresh install with another working m.2 nvme spare i have. I'm at the point of the troubleshooting where I'm gonna say

"The world of silicon works in mysterious ways, #SiliconLottery". You guys have any ideas? If I switched video cards and no issues are happening, what on earth

could be happening? Is Alder Lake that much of an unstable mess because I have no idea. I've also tested with Heaven before on his rig and ran stable. I'm going to try

Furmark next. Any ideas my friends? 

Did you disable XMP with a cmos reset? If not, A cmos reset may be in order.

also how does “holo” apply here?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Did you disable XMP with a cmos reset? If not, A cmos reset may be in order.

also how does “holo” apply here?

Oh, Holo is just part of the Zotac GPU name. 

Just now, Rynell said:

Oh, Holo is just part of the Zotac GPU name. 

Ah.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 months later...