3d printer help?

Criticalmeadow

Hello! I have a Robo 3D printer which has broken. It has been broken for about a year and I have been unsure as to how I can fix it. When I try to use it, I believe the base moves the wrong way and makes a loud noise. Additionally, the nozzle does not work. I have tried to put the filament inside it, but it goes the wrong way and does not work. I am not sure if it would be better to try and fix it or to sell it. 
I would appreciate tips to solving this issue. 

that sounds like there's something wrong with the stepper motor drivers, or the stepper motors themselves.

although.. how they could break in a way they start going backwards..  that's beyond me. i do recall people mentioning robo 3D are rather poor build quality.

you could fire the parts cannon at it, but given robo doesnt seem to have pretty much any parts available, it might not be worth the adventure.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

that sounds like there's something wrong with the stepper motor drivers, or the stepper motors themselves.

although.. how they could break in a way they start going backwards..  that's beyond me. i do recall people mentioning robo 3D are rather poor build quality.

you could fire the parts cannon at it, but given robo doesnt seem to have pretty much any parts available, it might not be worth the adventure.

If it might not be w worth it, do you think I should sell it and buy a newer 3d printer? the 3d printer which I have is pretty old. If so do you think you can recommend a good 3d printer?

1 hour ago, Criticalmeadow said:

If it might not be w worth it, do you think I should sell it and buy a newer 3d printer? the 3d printer which I have is pretty old. If so do you think you can recommend a good 3d printer?

i mean.. good luck with selling a broken 3D printer i guess..

as for a recommendation - wanhao D12. it comes in a bunch of different sizes, is made from mostly bone stock parts so finding replacement parts is easy, and because everything is just bolted together they are very easy to modify as well.

i'm running a MUCH older wanhao i3 plus, with a lot of homebrew upgrades on it, and it's served me very well.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i mean.. good luck with selling a broken 3D printer i guess..

as for a recommendation - wanhao D12. it comes in a bunch of different sizes, is made from mostly bone stock parts so finding replacement parts is easy, and because everything is just bolted together they are very easy to modify as well.

i'm running a MUCH older wanhao i3 plus, with a lot of homebrew upgrades on it, and it's served me very well.

I do think it would probably be a good idea to get rid of it, not sure if I could simply throw it out. When I had it I remember it would break frequently, I think it might be an outdated setup and it would be more worthwhile to buy a new and probably better 3d printer.

11 minutes ago, Criticalmeadow said:

I do think it would probably be a good idea to get rid of it, not sure if I could simply throw it out. When I had it I remember it would break frequently, I think it might be an outdated setup and it would be more worthwhile to buy a new and probably better 3d printer.

Also to be precise the 3d printer which I have is the Robo r2 

image.jpg

you can get an ender 2 for <$200. I don't know what the build volume is on that, but it looks similarly sized if not smaller than the ender.

The creality printers have huge 3rd party and community support.

for a little more you can get an ender3 which has even more community support.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

I also recommend getting a new 3D printer. I've been using an Ender 3 for 4 years now and it's been great. The only things I've had to change in that time were the print bed due to user error and a direct extruder for better reliability.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16