Resin 3d printers - Which is more entry-level friendly?

invaderSnarf

I run a few table top games and do some very casual wargaming with a couple friends. I wanted to expand my miniatures collection and throw in some terrain, and quickly priced myself for what I was looking for. I have also been interested in 3d printing my own miniatures for a while. So, as someone looking to get into 3D printing I was hoping to get some advice on which would be the more friendly machine to get into this hobby. The Elegoo Mars 3 Pro($284), or the Anycubic Photon M3($249). My budget is around $300 and, from what I could find, these two printers seem to bring the largest build volume and highest resolution for that price point. 

Also, I am specifically looking at resin printers over filament as I I'm looking to print more miniatures vs terrain objects and want to keep the higher detail on smaller objects that, from what I can see online, filament printers in my price range would struggle with.  

Does anyone have any experience with either of the above printers? Would you suggest one over the other? Have a different resin printer you believe to be more entry level?

On 12/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, invaderSnarf said:

I run a few table top games and do some very casual wargaming with a couple friends. I wanted to expand my miniatures collection and throw in some terrain, and quickly priced myself for what I was looking for. I have also been interested in 3d printing my own miniatures for a while. So, as someone looking to get into 3D printing I was hoping to get some advice on which would be the more friendly machine to get into this hobby. The Elegoo Mars 3 Pro($284), or the Anycubic Photon M3($249). My budget is around $300 and, from what I could find, these two printers seem to bring the largest build volume and highest resolution for that price point. 

Also, I am specifically looking at resin printers over filament as I I'm looking to print more miniatures vs terrain objects and want to keep the higher detail on smaller objects that, from what I can see online, filament printers in my price range would struggle with.  

Does anyone have any experience with either of the above printers? Would you suggest one over the other? Have a different resin printer you believe to be more entry level?

From what I’ve heard Anycubic would be the better buy but with either you still need the wash and UV curing station for treating the prints afterwards, you can make your own UV station with black light and tinfoil though. The Anycubic wash and cure is like 99 I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

none

those who use lcd masking you will have to often change display and films because they break over time (like few months)

LCDs and films are quite expensive

so you're better off getting or the lowest grade so to have cheap replacement parts, or to get an expensive laser printer

also they are also pita, there's the fumes, so you need to have a well ventilated area, if you have an apartment do not.

the washing residues are special trash, meaning that you can't just throw it in the generic bin, but you need to keep it, and dispose it in the special bin

don't think to throw them down the drain is fine either because residues will be stuck on your pipes, and costantly give off fumes that are really bad for you

the same goes for those who can be washed in water 

there are some resins that claim to be odorless, but nobody knows what's in there nor what are they releasing, so you might get sick without even realizing it