I forgot to unplug/switch off the power supply before CMOS clear...

7apollo

...and now my GPU is causing boot problems.

I took the OptiPlex upgrade challenge which involved upgraded RAM and slapped a low-profile RX 6400 in this badboy. These installations went fairly well as I unplugged the power when installing the GPU and RAM, but noticed some freezing and mild OS stuttering when not in-game) so the next step in my mind was "just clear the CMOS and that will solve everything!"

It seems that I've bricked the only PCI-E slot, something on the GPU, or something(s) on the motherboard. Also it's worth noting that the GPU gets exceedingly hot when the PC is going through it's boot loop/frozen 100% boot screen process.

I've tried flashing the latest BIOS, ASPM "auto" setting, turning SATA RAID off, clearing the CMOS the safe way, and taking out a stick of RAM (lol)

Things I haven't done: Reflash the VBIOS on the card itself, buy a decent PC and not brick anything on it.

Open to other ideas of course + thanks for reading this :')

Might reach out to a friend to test the GPU. Hoping it's a power limit issue or something and not fried caps. Thanks for reading!

Hi 7apollo,

If your GPU is causing boot problems after a CMOS clear, it is possible that the CMOS reset has caused your computer to lose certain settings that are needed for your GPU to function properly. In this case, you will need to go into the BIOS settings and reconfigure them to match the settings that were previously in place.

To access the BIOS settings, you will need to restart your computer and press a key (usually the Delete key, the F1 key, or the F2 key) to enter the BIOS. Once you are in the BIOS, you will need to navigate to the settings that pertain to your GPU and make any necessary adjustments. This may include setting the primary display to be your GPU, rather than the integrated graphics on your motherboard.

If you are unsure of what settings to adjust, you may need to consult your motherboard or GPU manual for guidance. Alternatively, you can try resetting the BIOS to its default settings and then restarting your computer to see if that resolves the issue.

If you continue to experience problems with your GPU after trying the steps above, it is possible that the CMOS reset has caused damage to your GPU. In this case, you may need to replace your GPU or have it repaired by a qualified technician.

I hope this fixed your problem and you don’t have to get a GPU repair or even a new GPU