what is the best storage config?

JoHeJo06

hello,

i can buy a 1TB crucial P5 plus for 110€ (with tax).  i could also buy a 500GB crucial P5 plus for 60€, and a 2tb hdd for 50€.

will i see less performance with the hdd in the following applications and in games?

i will be storing a lot of games, and some professional applications, like premiere pro and photoshop, siemens TIA portal, solidworks and visual studio.

what would fit best?

thanks!

You will see much longer OS boot times and game load times with a HDD compared to an SSD. It generally shouldn't affect game performance, but e.g. in open world games that need to load additional assets during runtime you may experience stutters that wouldn't be present with faster storage. If you can afford it, I'd go with 1 TB, but 500 GB can be plenty if you don't have too many large games installed at the same time.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

23 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You will see much longer OS boot times and game load times with a HDD compared to an SSD. It generally shouldn't affect game performance, but e.g. in open world games that need to load additional assets during runtime you may experience stutters that wouldn't be present with faster storage. If you can afford it, I'd go with 1 TB, but 500 GB can be plenty if you don't have too many large games installed at the same time.

ark: survival evolved is my favourite game, will i have stutters?

and i tought if you had a ssd with your windows install on it, boot times would only be dependant on the speed of the ssd?

7 minutes ago, JoHeJo06 said:

ark: survival evolved is my favourite game, will i have stutters?

and i tought if you had a ssd with your windows install on it, boot times would only be dependant on the speed of the ssd?

Correct. There may be a slight increase as the hdd spins up and is recognized, but as long as the OS is on the SSD, your boots will be fine.

If you are a data hoarder, I'd go for the 500g ssd and the 2tb harddrive. Load the games that you are currently playing on the SSD, once you get bored of a game, offload it to the harddrive to free up space on the SSD. It will take some effort to do the game shuffle, but you get the best of both worlds.

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Correct. There may be a slight increase as the hdd spins up and is recognized, but as long as the OS is on the SSD, your boots will be fine.

If you are a data hoarder, I'd go for the 500g ssd and the 2tb harddrive. Load the games that you are currently playing on the SSD, once you get bored of a game, offload it to the harddrive to free up space on the SSD. It will take some effort to do the game shuffle, but you get the best of both worlds.

hahaha i delete every file i dont need, im the opposite of a data hoarder.  maybe i will go with the 1TB SSD and when im running out of storage, the hdd is just a quick drop in.

2 hours ago, JoHeJo06 said:

hahaha i delete every file i dont need, im the opposite of a data hoarder.  maybe i will go with the 1TB SSD and when im running out of storage, the hdd is just a quick drop in.

Get the 1TB if you can afford it but also look at the GB/$ - many 1TB SSDs are coming down in price or there's deals at certain times of the year.   If 2 of those 500GB SSDs add up to the price of the 1TB - then the 1TB SSD is a good deal.

You can never have enough storage and often, the 1TB SSDs are a little faster - but, you won't notice it - in everyday tasks (but, benchmarks might show it).

The HDD would be strictly for storage - as they're way slower .