Asus Prime Z690-A DRAM QLED

Valnictus
Go to solution Solved by Cyberat,

Bad brand for a video editing station, but nowadays my answer is AMD for anything.

1) As someone said, make sure your choice of CPU does or does not require a Bios Flash for MB.

2) Ram you assume is compatible, may not be, or you got factory OC ram that doesn't play well, perhaps.

Does the board support XMP 3.0 and PMIC Type - OC PMIC (off the Corsair website) ?

Hey there! So, I just built a video editing workstation for a customer with an Asus Prime Z690-A, an i9-13900KF, and 64 GB of 2xCorsair 2x16GB 5600 MHz (CMT32GX5M2B5600C36(Ver4.43.02)), and a 4090. All the parts are supposed to work together, however, I'm getting yellow DRAM Light and no Post. I assume if the red CPU QLED is not on, it means the board has BIOS 2004, and it's compatible with 13900KF, so, it should go down to RAM. Tried all modules on all slots and the result was the same. Maybe over-torqued AIO?

6 minutes ago, Valnictus said:

Hey there! So, I just built a video editing workstation for a customer with an Asus Prime Z690-A, an i9-13900KF, and 64 GB of 2xCorsair 2x16GB 5600 MHz (CMT32GX5M2B5600C36(Ver4.43.02)), and a 4090. All the parts are supposed to work together, however, I'm getting yellow DRAM Light and no Post. I assume if the red CPU QLED is not on, it means the board has BIOS 2004, and it's compatible with 13900KF, so, it should go down to RAM. Tried all modules on all slots and the result was the same. Maybe over-torqued AIO?

This happened too when I installed a 13600kf into a MSI b660m mortar. Only the ram lights showed at first. Apparently it was actually the bios not being compatible. Try updating it.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

Bad brand for a video editing station, but nowadays my answer is AMD for anything.

1) As someone said, make sure your choice of CPU does or does not require a Bios Flash for MB.

2) Ram you assume is compatible, may not be, or you got factory OC ram that doesn't play well, perhaps.

Does the board support XMP 3.0 and PMIC Type - OC PMIC (off the Corsair website) ?

So, update. 2 issues were found. Firstly, yeah, I wouldn't have go Intel for an editing workstation either, and if so, I wouldnt have go with Asus Prime as the motherboard as it requires a cpu to flash the BIOS (customer actually acknowledged this when I told him why he could've go TR4). Most modern motherboards dont require one, buuuuut, long story short, customer had a "tech person" who advised them on what parts to buy, and ghosted him after he bought them all, so he came to me with all the parts asking to install them, so I had to work with the previous "tech's" joke of a part picking. 

Now, the 2 issues,

1) Indeed, it needed a bios flash, got a 12 gen i7 and flashed it with it from 0703 to 2204.

2) This "tech" who "selected" the parts, included 2 kits of 2x16GB Corsair CMT32GX5M2B5600C36W(Ver4.43.02) which are the white version, cuz the customer is going for a full white build. However the white version of that corsair memory, is literally the only version not supported by that motherboard.  CMT32GX5M2B5600C36(Ver4.43.02) (not white, but black) IS compatible, but the white one isn't. Instead of going with LITERALLY ANY WHITE G.Skill Ripjaws which are ALL compatible, he went with the ONLY incompatible white memory. So, long story short, managed to POST by flashing the BIOS, but it's going to Safe Post as the memory is not fully compatible and it will not even allow me to activate XMP or it stops Posting.

Bonus: The customer decided to upgrade because their 9th Gen i7+RTX 2080+Evo 970 nvme+64GB of DDR4-4133 "was painfully slow". Turns out the "tech" didn't realize their ML240L AIO was death on arrival (bad pump, block heating up as hell and radiator cold as a cucumber), and even left the protective plastic on the block for extra high performance amazing cooling... So, their old system was throttling to hell and back, so we had to go get a new AIO (upgraded to 360MM ML360L by my advise, despite this "tech guru" told them 240MM WAS OVERKILL FOR A FRICKING 13900KF). Anyways, customer is pretty mad over the 2-3 days we've not been able to get their work station running. Not sure if he understood the fault relies on their previous joke of a technician or not, but I'm not expecting a 5 star review. Hard to start your own business here in Latin America over this kind of stuff...

So, final update.

Windows is up and running. Had some issues installing it, but removed 3 sticks of ram and installed only with one, and the re-placed all the ram. Works good now. Posts directly to OS within 10 seconds, no BIOS issues. Ran Cinebench R23 and oh boy it gets hot. Boosts up to 4.5GHz, all cores at 100 Celsius. 5.2GHz one core. I told the customer that AIO was not enough to get full all core boost, and he asked me to get him a custom loop. Just thinking about the previous tech saying 240MM was overkill makes me laugh. We also got a sales guy at the mall where we bought the 360MM recommend a cheap Chinese air cooler

7 hours ago, Valnictus said:

So, final update.

Windows is up and running. Had some issues installing it, but removed 3 sticks of ram and installed only with one, and the re-placed all the ram. Works good now. Posts directly to OS within 10 seconds, no BIOS issues. Ran Cinebench R23 and oh boy it gets hot. Boosts up to 4.5GHz, all cores at 100 Celsius. 5.2GHz one core. I told the customer that AIO was not enough to get full all core boost, and he asked me to get him a custom loop. Just thinking about the previous tech saying 240MM was overkill makes me laugh. We also got a sales guy at the mall where we bought the 360MM recommend a cheap Chinese air cooler

Final final update, lol. 5 star review and the customer said not to ghost him like their previous tech as he will be reaching out for future projects