extremely hard to plug in modular cables for MSI MPG a650gf psu

Nexmm
Go to solution Solved by Nexmm,

UPDATE: bought some extenders (kinda wanted them anyway) and the PSU cables fit the extenders which fit the motherboard fine. Eventually the cables clicked into the PSU with enough force (still a slight gap) but booted with no problem. 

My fingers have hurt for the past hour trying to jam the 18+10 pin connector into the PSU. The 24pin side that connects to the motherboard isn't easy to plug in either. The 8-pin CPU cable plugged in with slight resistance but is overall fine. However, I cannot get the 24 pin cables to fit in and click, they just won't go all the way while pushing the tab. The 10 pin mobo part clicks in fine, as well as the PCIe cables for my GPU. It's just the 18pin part that is super annoying. What do you all suggest doing?

25 minutes ago, Nexmm said:

My fingers have hurt for the past hour trying to jam the 18+10 pin connector into the PSU. The 24pin side that connects to the motherboard isn't easy to plug in either. The 8-pin CPU cable plugged in with slight resistance but is overall fine. However, I cannot get the 24 pin cables to fit in and click, they just won't go all the way while pushing the tab. The 10 pin mobo part clicks in fine, as well as the PCIe cables for my GPU. It's just the 18pin part that is super annoying. What do you all suggest doing?

Are you sure these are the right cables?

Are the pins bent?

Try wiggling it a bit, see if that helps.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

5 minutes ago, Chikensoops said:

Are you sure these are the right cables?

Are the pins bent?

Try wiggling it a bit, see if that helps.

Yep, they're right out of the box and the 10-pin part of the cable fits fine. Pins look straight. Will continue to try to wiggle it in but still can't click it into slot.

Try pressing the clip while pressing it in until it's just slightly in, and the clip is already grabbing on to something not fully.

Then use some chopsticks or other long, nonmetal object, to press down on it, while *very* gently hammering it with a rubber mallet.

16 minutes ago, Chikensoops said:

Try pressing the clip while pressing it in until it's just slightly in, and the clip is already grabbing on to something not fully.

Then use some chopsticks or other long, nonmetal object, to press down on it, while *very* gently hammering it with a rubber mallet.

Don't have a rubber mallet 🙂 

The thing is like 2mm away from being in and hammering only causes the other side to prop up.

58 minutes ago, Chikensoops said:

Try hammering on the clip side?

Tried to no avail. Hesitant to use more force with a hammer, still hasn't clicked in. If its this annoying to plug in its gonna be a nightmare to pull out.

I don't think there's any other way. You should just return the PSU at this point. They might have shipped the wrong cable, or the cable got damaged at some point, or maybe the PSU itself is deformed. Also, you didn't use a metal hammer right? If it's scratched, they might not accept it.

41 minutes ago, Chikensoops said:

I don't think there's any other way. You should just return the PSU at this point. They might have shipped the wrong cable, or the cable got damaged at some point, or maybe the PSU itself is deformed. Also, you didn't use a metal hammer right? If it's scratched, they might not accept it.

Yeah should be fine, I'll look into it thanks

Just to add: plugging the 24pin into the motherboard is also very hard, as is removing it from it's partially plugged position. When removing it, it seems the latch is not in contact with anything when pressed down upon, yet I still struggle to remove the cable from the mobo

UPDATE: bought some extenders (kinda wanted them anyway) and the PSU cables fit the extenders which fit the motherboard fine. Eventually the cables clicked into the PSU with enough force (still a slight gap) but booted with no problem.