How to pass an Unraid share to a home assistant VM?

Convictions

To preface, my experience with unraid and VMs is just the last couple weeks that I've been working to set up a home server for a security camera system. I'm running a VM with Home Assistant OS inside of Unraid. Within the VM, I'm using frigate to record and capture video.

Right now, I can't seem to pass my unraid shares to Home Assistant. If I include a share in the VM settings at the "Unraid Source Path" option, the Home Assistant VM fails to initialize. With the VNC console open, it looks like it's started initialization, but it never actually displays an IP address, and home assistant never becomes accessible. I feel like this should be pretty simple, but I haven't been able to find anything explaining how to do it.

Once I get that sorted, the next thing for me to figure out is how to make frigate save clips to the unraid share instead of to its default path. If somehow someone is able to answer that question as well, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Easiest is just to access the network share via smb or nfs.

If you use to use the "mount point" thing you need to mount it on the VM side manually, and add the "memoryBacking" section to the xml:

https://libvirt.org/kbase/virtiofs.html

Make sure to install qemu-guest-agent in the VM as well. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, Convictions said:

To preface, my experience with unraid and VMs is just the last couple weeks that I've been working to set up a home server for a security camera system. I'm running a VM with Home Assistant OS inside of Unraid. Within the VM, I'm using frigate to record and capture video.

Right now, I can't seem to pass my unraid shares to Home Assistant. If I include a share in the VM settings at the "Unraid Source Path" option, the Home Assistant VM fails to initialize. With the VNC console open, it looks like it's started initialization, but it never actually displays an IP address, and home assistant never becomes accessible. I feel like this should be pretty simple, but I haven't been able to find anything explaining how to do it.

Once I get that sorted, the next thing for me to figure out is how to make frigate save clips to the unraid share instead of to its default path. If somehow someone is able to answer that question as well, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

As stated above, just use SMB...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

If you want to use VirtIO-FS, make sure in your guest your VirtIO drivers are up to date. If its Windows, in UnRAID you can download the latest VirtIO package (which includes QEMU guest agent), and mount it to the VM to use as your source to update. If its Linux just make sure your QEMU guest agent is installed (e.g apt install qemu-guest-agent / yum install qemu-guest-agent) which will manage your VirtIO drivers. 

You can then find a guide here: https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/wiki/VirtIO-FS:-Shared-file-system

Keep in mind this feature is still very new and is treated as experimental as far as Unraid support. 

But as others have said you might want to just use SMB for now. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Thanks everyone. I ended up just moving frigate from Home Assistant to Unraid (w/ frigate proxy running in Home Assistant). that solves both issues at once because now frigate just saves files to an unraid share.