Computer "freezing" under little to no load

GregoryJC

So yesterday afternoon my computer started freezing as I would scroll through websites or open new windows/programs. For example clicking the start menu, freeze. Open Steam, freeze. Change to the steam library page, freeze. My only guess so far has been my gpu which is  spiking to 20, 60 or even 100% usage when things freeze. It gets weirder though. My computer is perfectly fine playing intense games when its acting like this.  I decided to do a gpu driver reinstall and then it was fine until just a bit ago where it started doing the same thing. Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

System specs

1080 ti

3900x

64gb of ram

9xx samsung nvme driver

It is definitely one of the weirder issues, but one thing I think you should try is to disable hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling. 

You can fine this by

right click empty space on the desktop->display setting->scroll down and find "Graphics Settings"-> disable hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling

So that did not work. Restarting did not work. But doing a fresh gpu driver install worked again. I just don't understand why or how that would work or why the issue would return a day later and persist after a reboot.

Possibly a bad driver and install or just an incompatible driver. You don't change drivers when everything works perfectly.

Run DDU in safe mode to remove the drivers. Install with factory reset.

Already tried using ddu. Doing a clean driver install works for a random amount of time and then the issue comes back. Already tried installing a different version of the drivers.

It will happen when pretty much everything is closed of shutdown.

So far rebooting doesn't fix the issue, only a driver wipe does, and only temporary which makes no sense to me.

Well, it ended up being that the gpu died. I was finally able to figure out that only the image/display was freezing and not the entire computer as it became worse. Why it was only happening outside of gaming and why wiping the drivers worked I have no idea.