Finding my access point's (old router) IP address

Holmes108

I'm using an old router as an access point. So I set the 2nd routers IP address within the IP range of my main Router, and then disabled DHCP, connected them from network port to network port, and everything works perfect. I can use the 2nd router wired or wireless and everything has worked great for over a year.

The only issue is I'd like to access that 2nd routers interface to check some settings, and I don't remember what I set it's IP to. 

I can log into the primary router's interface without issue, expecting it to be listed under the connected devices but it's not. I found some advice online using the command "arp -a" to no avail either. Another site seemed to suggest I could find my AP IP from the network adapter status/details screen but that only shows me my computers IP (I'm using a desktop PC connected to the 2nd router for all of this).

I'm sure I could push the reset pin on the router and start from scratch, but I feel like that shouldn't be necessary.

Is it a glitch? Is there another option? Any thoughts? 

Thanks.

the simplest way is to unplug everything connected to the main router, reset it, and plug only the one you wanted.

next time set the repeater static IP address close to the main router like .2 or .3, so you wont forget.

and then set the dhcp rance to .3 -> xxx.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Any reason you didn't use the WAN port on the old router and DHCP ???

You know you can block all wi-fi from seeing each other, in the router's features (if not too old).

7 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

the simplest way is to unplug everything connected to the main router, reset it, and plug only the one you wanted.

next time set the repeater static IP address close to the main router like .2 or .3, so you wont forget.

and then set the dhcp rance to .3 -> xxx.

I'll give it a try thanks. 

5 hours ago, Cyberat said:

Any reason you didn't use the WAN port on the old router and DHCP ???

You know you can block all wi-fi from seeing each other, in the router's features (if not too old).

Didn't know that would work okay. Just looked up how to use a router as an access point and the first article seemed simple. And it was, just not sure why I can't access it. I know myself and know I wouldn't have made the IP address too arbitrary. I've tried the first 20 IPs, plus all the ones using numbers I tend to gravitate to, and all of the ones ending in 0 or 5. At this point I'm pretty sure it's actually inaccessible for one reason or another. 

It's a Netgear nighthawk R7000. I'll give your suggestion a try if I reset everything. Not sure what you mean about the wifi. I just want to have access to ethernet ports that are physically separated, and if it extends my wifi a bit that's bonus really. And all as seamless as possible. 

Your setup as described is called "Router Behind Router" no idea why you went the way of connecting LAN to LAN.

Nothing about Wi-Fi, unless you mean to say you used it as a Wi-Fi bridge, which is my understanding that it's not.