New CPU Runs Too Hot

Nicnero999

Hello guys,

today I got my new CPU and mainboard as a small upgrade for my PC. The problem is that it runs extremely hot.

System specs:

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 7 5800x

RTX 3070

32Gb 3200MHz DDR4

As the CPU cooler I am using the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 so theoretically it should work. I already tried redoing the thermal compound (Cooler Master V1) but nothing changed.

After starting R23 Multicore the Package Temp rises from approx 40°C up to 90°C in seconds. Then it stays between 89°C and 90°C. After stopping R23 the temps reach the 40°C after a few seconds.

I hope that you guys can help me with that 🙂 Cheers

What's your R23 score? A 5800X jumping to 90C in R23 isn't unheard of, kinda expected actually, so what really matters is what the CPU is boosting to and whether it's scoring as it should. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What's your R23 score? A 5800X jumping to 90C in R23 isn't unheard of, kinda expected actually, so what really matters is what the CPU is boosting to and whether it's scoring as it should. 

I just did a single run to get the score fast for the answer: 14847 is the score with a constant 4,5 GHz on all cores. At the beginning it boosted to 4,8 GHz but then it went back to 4,5

EDIT: With high priority in the task manager i got 15300

2 minutes ago, Nicnero999 said:

I just did a single run to get the score fast for the answer: 14847 is the score with a constant 4,5 GHz on all cores. At the beginning it boosted to 4,8 GHz but then it went back to 4,5

That's a little lower than what I'd expect, I'd be expecting closer to the mid 15000s, but Cinebench also isn't that consistent and pretty susceptible to background tasks so 14800 isn't unthinkably low (400pts from run to run is within margin of error) and is more likely just Windows Update or Chrome open in the background bringing down the score. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's a little lower than what I'd expect, I'd be expecting closer to the mid 15000s, but Cinebench also isn't that consistent and pretty susceptible to background tasks so 14800 isn't unthinkably low (400pts from run to run is within margin of error) and is more likely just Windows Update or Chrome open in the background bringing down the score. 

So in your opinion the temp is just normal? Because like an hour ago I got a BSOD in a Raid in Tarkov because my CPU crashed. After restart my bios gave me a cpu temp alert.

5 minutes ago, Nicnero999 said:

So in your opinion the temp is just normal? Because like an hour ago I got a BSOD in a Raid in Tarkov because my CPU crashed. After restart my bios gave me a cpu temp alert.

I'd check your cooler mount and paste application. As well as seeing if there is a protective sticker on the bottom of the cooler. 

Cooler mount should be fully tensioned.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I'd check your cooler mount and paste application. As well as seeing if there is a protective sticker on the bottom of the cooler. 

Cooler mount should be fully tensioned.

I already had the cooler on my older CPU and I cleaned with isopropylic alcohol; so there couldn't have been a protection sticker. Paste should be good and I tensioned the mount as good as i can without being too hard. 

45 minutes ago, Nicnero999 said:

I already had the cooler on my older CPU and I cleaned with isopropylic alcohol; so there couldn't have been a protection sticker. Paste should be good and I tensioned the mount as good as i can without being too hard. 

I would check the mount anyway, may not have spread evenly.

I'd get a better cooler aka NOT "quiet" Corsair H100i is pretty quiet and delivers, my 125W AMD stays at 30-35C idle and no more than 70C peak.

Set your cooler in bios to be 40% at 40C and 100% at 60C. Let me know your results.