Bios (cmos) resets after every powercut or outage even the pc was turned off.

januda

Bios (cmos) resets after every powercut or outage even the pc was turned off. Have to manually set ram speeds and boot drive every time after a power outage.

20221207_151743.jpg

This usually happens when the CMOS battery on your board is empty. If you open up your computer you should be able to see it on the mainboard. You can just buy an identical one and replace it. Afterwards all of your settings should be stored again.

i found some forums where people had a similar problem, and they found a solution of rubbing the cmos battery connectors with an eraser, and also trying to bend the bottom contacts up carefully and slightly to try to make a better connection. 

https://www.overclock.net/threads/cmos-resets-after-power-outage-even-with-fresh-battery.1489957/

heres that forum if you want to look through it

Replace the CMOS battery and/or check the contacts, as above.  

It's the common 2032 battery, sold every place.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, adm0n said:

This usually happens when the CMOS battery on your board is empty. If you open up your computer you should be able to see it on the mainboard. You can just buy an identical one and replace it. Afterwards all of your settings should be stored again.

I did replace the battery today but it still getting resets

19 minutes ago, januda said:

I did replace the battery today but it still getting resets

If your MB has it, check the Jumper and also attempt to update your BIOS to a newer version if possible. 

Also another thing to note is that the system might be seeing a phantom change in hardware, to rule this out drop to 1 ram stick and see if the issue persists. 

Did you turn it off and back on again?

8 minutes ago, zipspence said:

If your MB has it, check the Jumper and also attempt to update your BIOS to a newer version if possible. 

Also another thing to note is that the system might be seeing a phantom change in hardware, to rule this out drop to 1 ram stick and see if the issue persists. 

What is a phantom change 

9 minutes ago, zipspence said:

Few weeks before only 2 ram slots were worked suddenly it fixed . Just saying 

2 minutes ago, januda said:

What is a phantom change 

Phantom changes are when you dont actually change anything on a system, but it still thinks something did, this is common with failing components and some software updates. It can be as simple as the CPU fan not being detected which will trigger a "hardware change"

So if I am getting what you mean here, I would reduce your memory installed to 1 stick, then perform the shutdown and restart to see if it still comes up with the same error. 

8 minutes ago, januda said:

What motherboard is that?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 minutes ago, zipspence said:

So if I am getting what you mean here, I would reduce your memory installed to 1 stick, then perform the shutdown and restart to see if it still comes up with the same error. 

I did the thing . But it still got reset

1 minute ago, januda said:

Msi b550m pro vdh wifi

Make sure the header just to the left of the battery isn't shorted.

image.png.84002ca363a30777079931f19f027e85.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Make sure the header just to the left of the battery isn't shorted.

image.png.84002ca363a30777079931f19f027e85.png

38 minutes ago, zipspence said:

Did update the bios and tried with 1 ram. Tested both but still it happens 

8 minutes ago, januda said:

Did update the bios and tried with 1 ram. Tested both but still it happens 

In this instance, I would strip the system down to the bare minimum, if the bios jumper is clear then take out all extra hardware down to the core of just the MB, CPU, CPU Cooler, 1 ram stick and the boot drive, use onboard graphics and do a restart to check if it goes to the change screen again, if so, then put the 1 stick of ram into other slots as well ->slot 1 then ->slot 2 etc. etc. 

how long have you had this system and when did the problem start?

25 minutes ago, zipspence said:

In this instance, I would strip the system down to the bare minimum, if the bios jumper is clear then take out all extra hardware down to the core of just the MB, CPU, CPU Cooler, 1 ram stick and the boot drive, use onboard graphics and do a restart to check if it goes to the change screen again, if so, then put the 1 stick of ram into other slots as well ->slot 1 then ->slot 2 etc. etc. 

how long have you had this system and when did the problem start?

Its been a year since i have this pc problem starts 2 months ago

Just now, januda said:

Its been a year since i have this pc problem starts 2 months ago

Tried all other slots and cpu dosent have integrated graphics 

Specs are ryzen 5 3600 16 gb ram rtx 2060 6gb

3 minutes ago, januda said:

Tried all other slots and cpu dosent have integrated graphics 

Specs are ryzen 5 3600 16 gb ram rtx 2060 6gb

Well in that case leave the GPU in there but disconnect all of the other Hard drives but the boot drive. 

15 minutes ago, zipspence said:

Well in that case leave the GPU in there but disconnect all of the other Hard drives but the boot drive. 

Fixed when i unplugged my sata ssd

Just now, januda said:

Fixed when i unplugged my sata ssd

When it resets it chooses that as the boot drive

When it resets it chooses that as the boot drive

Alright sounds like it was the boot order?

1 minute ago, zipspence said:

Alright sounds like it was the boot order?

How should i fix it evertime i set my other ssd as boot driver . After a power cut it sets that sata ssd as the boot drive