Jump to content

thermal problems with radeon Rx 560

Fabb
 Share

hi i have this: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496307963#spe
GPU and used AMD Adrenaline to get it up to ~ 1350MHz but now whenever there is a load the temperature jumps from idle (~40-50°C) to 65°C in less than a second.

the moment the load is gone the temps go down to ~50°C again so i would assume this is just the lack of thermal mass with the small heatsink.

now the question: would deshrouding the GPU and placing 2 NF-P12 on a bracked in the slot right below the GPU help or not? the built-in fan is louder than my entire system combined when at 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should take a minute or so for heat soak to occur on a heatsink, this behavior sounds more conducive of a contact issue with the heatsink or less likely a thermometer issue.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

65°c isnt *that* hot, i'm not familiar with the behavior of RX cards, but both my GTX970 and R7 5800x will have a pretty quick initial 'jump' in temperature when they get a sudden load, and then rise and stabilize from there. the cpu will go from <40 all the way to high 60s in one refresh on rainmeter if i go from idle to a full 100% load, but that's because in that same amount of time it goes from an idle power state to whatever it burns at full load in that same second.

 

the thing about heatsinking is you need a temperature difference to move heat, and more heat to move means a bigger temperature difference.

 

shoving more air trough the GPU will defenately help with temperatures and bigger fans will help with noise.. but that initial 'jump' is sort of the wrong problem to solve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

65°c isnt *that* hot, i'm not familiar with the behavior of RX cards, but both my GTX970 and R7 5800x will have a pretty quick initial 'jump' in temperature when they get a sudden load, and then rise and stabilize from there. the cpu will go from <40 all the way to high 60s in one refresh on rainmeter if i go from idle to a full 100% load, but that's because in that same amount of time it goes from an idle power state to whatever it burns at full load in that same second.

 

the thing about heatsinking is you need a temperature difference to move heat, and more heat to move means a bigger temperature difference.

 

shoving more air trough the GPU will defenately help with temperatures and bigger fans will help with noise.. but that initial 'jump' is sort of the wrong problem to solve.

before i could comfortably keep the GPU Temps below 50°C at 50% fan speed even under full load

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fabb said:

before i could comfortably keep the GPU Temps below 50°C at 50% fan speed even under full load

i assume you've cleaned any potential dust out the heatsink already?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i assume you've cleaned any potential dust out the heatsink already?

yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fabb said:

hi i have this: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496307963#spe
GPU and used AMD Adrenaline to get it up to ~ 1350MHz but now whenever there is a load the temperature jumps from idle (~40-50°C) to 65°C in less than a second.

the moment the load is gone the temps go down to ~50°C again so i would assume this is just the lack of thermal mass with the small heatsink.

now the question: would deshrouding the GPU and placing 2 NF-P12 on a bracked in the slot right below the GPU help or not? the built-in fan is louder than my entire system combined when at 100%

65C is a lot to you? If my junction on my 5600XT is below 90C I'm sorted and happy gaming. Not sure how outdated this is, but last I read AMD cards junction temperature was safe rated up to 110C... Not that I'd ever want it to stay so high but if it's rated so let it be.

 

I can also ramp up my fans to max 100% which is 3000rpm and card does become very loud but it'll still peak around 88C~. I set max fans to 60%~ so the system is just barely audible and everything still runs well, maybe lose out some 5fps compared to 100% fan curve (Plague's Tale Requiem).

Try out lowering max fan speed and seeing how that goes. Doubt your FPS is gonna plummet and make the card melt.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - XFX 5600XT - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - HyperX Cloud - Mackie CR5X's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

65C is a lot to you? If my junction on my 5600XT is below 90C I'm sorted and happy gaming. Not sure how outdated this is, but last I read AMD cards junction temperature was safe rated up to 110C... Not that I'd ever want it to stay so high but if it's rated so let it be.

 

I can also ramp up my fans to max 100% which is 3000rpm and card does become very loud but it'll still peak around 88C~. I set max fans to 60%~ so the system is just barely audible and everything still runs well, maybe lose out some 5fps compared to 100% fan curve (Plague's Tale Requiem).

Try out lowering max fan speed and seeing how that goes. Doubt your FPS is gonna plummet and make the card melt.

like i said it never really got to 50°C and i also have the nh-u9s keeping my cpu below 55°C, so i am not used to these temps

 

edit: where can i find out at what temps my gpu/cpu starts throttling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Fabb said:

like i said it never really got to 50°C and i also have the nh-u9s keeping my cpu below 55°C, so i am not used to these temps

 

edit: where can i find out at what temps my gpu/cpu starts throttling?

Check what sustained peak clock your GPU is meant to run at. Then have a benchmark game and see if overtime under sustained load the cards frequency falls off from your rated spec. If it stays at what is advertised, all good. If it's significantly below what's advertised, you GPU might be throttling. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - XFX 5600XT - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - HyperX Cloud - Mackie CR5X's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×