Got scammed again

Dean0919

I got scammed again in real life. After shopping for groceries, me and my wife stopped at the hot dog place and were waiting for hot dogs and all the sudden man comes to me and says "hey, how are you my man?" and he gave me his hand for shaking. I shook his hand and say "hello, do we know each other?". He says, "don't you remember me, man?". I say "no". Then he goes "aren't you living on this street?". I said yes (that street is nearby where we were standing). "Didn't you go to this school?" (there's only one school on that street). I said yes. Then he goes "so, you don't remember me? I remember you". I look at his face, but can't remember him. Then he goes "do you remember "John the puncher?". I said no. "What about "Peter the youngster"? I say "sorry, they don't ring the bell". He had an apple in his hand and a knife. He then goes "have you got few coins?". I said yeah & gave him $1 from wallet. Then he again asks me if I remember some other names. I told him I don't remember any of them and then he left. I noticed he came to other guy and talked to him, but their conversation was very short and they were far away, so I didn't catch what it was about. I realized that I got scammed. I don't understand why some people do such a low thing. Going outside in this freezing cold from early morning and do this acting and this is the same place where I got scammed before but that time it happened inside the market. Just imagine for a few coins to go outside and do this acting... It's so low... And I feel angry with myself that I fell for this silly crookery. 

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 32GB | GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC 10GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Stinger™ Core Gaming Headset | WEBCAM: Fifine 1440P | OS: Windows 11 64bit

Don't visit Boston; Elliot the Fix-a-Flat guy who hangs around Copley Place and the financial district will love you.

Dell owns my soul.

If his life is that bad that he does have to make up stories and lie to you for petty cash, be glad you're not him. 

If he did go to your school and he was so unmemorable and that tight on cash, also be glad you're not him. 

Synthesizer thread:

LTT Fan Fiction:

8 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

I got scammed again in real life. After shopping for groceries, me and my wife stopped at the hot dog place and were waiting for hot dogs and all the sudden man comes to me and says "hey, how are you my man?" and he gave me his hand for shaking. I shook his hand and say "hello, do we know each other?". He says, "don't you remember me, man?". I say "no". Then he goes "aren't you living on this street?". I said yes (that street is nearby where we were standing). "Didn't you go to this school?" (there's only one school on that street). I said yes. Then he goes "so, you don't remember me? I remember you". I look at his face, but can't remember him. Then he goes "do you remember "John the puncher?". I said no. "What about "Peter the youngster"? I say "sorry, they don't ring the bell". He had an apple in his hand and a knife. He then goes "have you got few coins?". I said yeah & gave him $1 from wallet. Then he again asks me if I remember some other names. I told him I don't remember any of them and then he left. I noticed he came to other guy and talked to him, but their conversation was very short and they were far away, so I didn't catch what it was about. I realized that I got scammed. I don't understand why some people do such a low thing. Going outside in this freezing cold from early morning and do this acting and this is the same place where I got scammed before but that time it happened inside the market. Just imagine for a few coins to go outside and do this acting... It's so low... And I feel angry with myself that I fell for this silly crookery. 

You uh... you didn't get scammed.

You didn't give him $1 because you thought you grew up with him and he was a school buddy (Or at least, if you did, that was 100% on you).

He was likely a homeless person begging for money. He's doing it for sympathy, no doubt about it, but it's not a scam. He asked for money and you, as an adult capable of making your own decisions, decided to give him money.

I guess the question is: If he just came up and asked for a $1, without the "you don't remember me?" act, would you still have given him $1?

Either way, have a little empathy for people who are suffering from hard times. Or just don't give beggars money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

I don't understand why some people do such a low thing.

The problem is you are expecting people to behave in a certain way, you expect them to be moral and just. Afraid not, there are evil people out there who perform the most wicked acts and there is no difference for them committing a horrific crime and going to the store to buy bread.

The guy in this case was a petty beggar, they cast a wide net and find people with a certain personality type to extract something from.

CPU: Ryzen 3700x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

9 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Sounds like you paid a dollar not to get stabbed... That's more like armed robbery than a scam.

"and a knife".
Y'all saying he was a homeless beggar. But the way I see it, if someone approaches me with a knife in hand and ask if I got some coins... that's getting mugged.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The beggar had an apple and a "knife", likely for peeling the apple. I love how half the people here assume the guy was threatening someone with the knife when none of that is mentioned. If you're getting mugged you don't give someone a dollar and they walk away, ffs, they take everything from you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"and a knife".
Y'all saying he was a homeless beggar. But the way I see it, if someone approaches me with a knife in hand and ask if I got some coins... that's getting mugged.

Ehh, context matters a lot here. If it's just a pocket knife, and he's literally just using it to cut up an Apple without any aggressive body language, that's not necessarily him trying to mug you. He might be totally oblivious to how it looks.

Besides... if he was actually trying to mug OP, wouldn't he ask for more than a $1?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The guy was chilling had a knife for peeling an apple, he's eating healthy and wanted a couple quarters for another one. If he goes directly and asks for a dollar then people most likely won't give him one, hence the story thing.

I bought a beggar kid a burger once and she wanted to come home with me because her dad (who was nearby dumpster diving) beat her. That was a sad day.

Tender is the night

Most Police would not react favorably to a panhandler carrying a dull butterknife. 

Doesnt matter if the panhandler was harmless. 

"Would you like to contribute to the Me-Not-Mugging-You Fund?"

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

See it all the time at red lights around town except these guys just wander around among vehicles stopped, waiting for it to change.
Haven't seen anything amounting to robbery/mugging yet but I know one day it will happen.

These guys aren't as bad off as they make out to be, usually staying in apartments close to these intersections with a bike stashed closeby they get around on.
I've had a few approach me in a parking lot in a similar manner and they got told no or to go elsewhere, esp the ones I've spotted faking it such as rolling around in a wheelchair begging, yet these same ones I'd also seen get up and out of the chair before, walking around normally.
For those guys I make it a point to remember them.
Those are the ones I really tell to get lost but for most I just ignore them or say "No". 

Anything from looking rough to well dressed with a sob story - I've ran into all of it before. It's also interesting with those that have a "Sob" story in that when I talk to them I start questioning it and their starts falling apart and they know it.
Those usually go away quickly.

I'll give an example of it - Had one come up to be before wanting gas money to go to a place that was a ways off and said they had no money to buy food with either - And they had just come from where a church was.

Think about it for a sec.....
Any reputable church would have fed them no prob if asked - If they were legitamately in need but they weren't and that's why - Even suggesting for them to go over and let them be taken care of results in excuses said why they don't want to go over there and be fed.
As for the gas money.....  Nah, once that became clear after I asked them about the church and a few other things too, they knew the jig was up so they took off.

I mean I get it - There are individuals in need for real out there and I don't mind it if it's legit but so far, everyone I've seen around here doing it is just panhandling for the sake of it in some form or another.
Just be careful out there guys - You never know who or what you may encounter.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I love how everyone says we need better, & more Security all the time, constantly, but yet all you hear is Scam after Scam getting Reported... 

And yet here I am after dealing with a bad issue of Norton Anti-Virus Security like 20 Years ago? Having No Security for For like 20 Years, & not once have I ever been Scammed, even with all the BS going on Today... oO 

Guess all that Security really helped those who asked for it, didn't it? Me here laughing, lOl... 

No, but really? 

Only way to deal with beating Scams, is this: 

-- Have Security 

-- Get Scammed 

-- Take Hit 

-- Get Someone To Explain How It Works 

-- Ask Them What To Do 

-- Learn The Hard Lesson 

-- Now, Learn Why Security Won't Help You 

Finally, Officially Never Be Scammed Again,

& No Longer Use Security... Anymore... 

Congrats you just beat a Task 

Most People Still Can't Beat, oO 

lOl, good luck...

19 minutes ago, Finkle Garbled Crap said:

I love how everyone says we need better, & more Security all the time, constantly, but yet all you hear is Scam after Scam getting Reported... 

And yet here I am after dealing with a bad issue of Norton Anti-Virus Security like 20 Years ago? Having No Security for For like 20 Years, & not once have I ever been Scammed, even with all the BS going on Today... oO 

Guess all that Security really helped those who asked for it, didn't it? Me here laughing, lOl... 

That's because when it comes down to it, the one that matters is YOU, the user/owner of the machine.

No anti-virus is perfect or can 110% protect you all the time.
It's the same basic thing as having anti-viral software yet you're still getting them all the time, esp when surfing your favorite pron sites.
I mean it's like doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result each time.

The solution in this case is simple - Stop going to those pron sites you're getting it from!

Anit-viral software can help but in the end nothing can fix "Stupid" of the user.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Ya, actually, If Microsoft had just kept their 

Microsoft Edge Windows Defender Application Guard Security that they've had for a while, 

I would of been totally fine just using that for Security... 

They already proved it worked on many Viruses, 

i've even tested it myself, & I just never saw any reason to change it... I never had any issues with it... 

Now the whole Cloud Based Sand Box replaced it, & 1st thing was, they showed it's Structure, but unlike the Application Guard before MS would not test this Updated one... & unlike before it looked fishy to me, as if it could leak Viruses into Windows10... I asked MS Tech Support, & my suspicion was correct... They quickely rushed my Chat, & had it closed, Ignoring my Suspicious Questions about MS New Security Sand Box, 

& then two months later there was a Major Breach of US Security through i'm betting Google into Windows, & into the US Systems, & such... 

I know this, because it looked fishy, & I questioned it two months before it happened, & supposedly it all lines up with my Suspicion, & supposedly those who were on Support with me when I questioned it, were actual straight up Jerks under MS Tech Support that night... 

Luckely, for me I pulled my Internet Cord that night, & ever since i've never had any Computer issues, but i've heard a lot of People who have had Computer issues on their Systems since... 

Supposedly, It also involves the Google with STEAM problems, & all the Privacy Collecting BS going on, it's all linked together, oO 

Supposedly, I don't know who,

I just sorta know how, but I also

have Suspicion of who it might be... Though...

1 hour ago, Finkle Garbled Crap said:

Ya, actually, If Microsoft had just kept their 

Microsoft Edge Windows Defender Application Guard Security that they've had for a while, 

I would of been totally fine just using that for Security... 

They already proved it worked on many Viruses, 

i've even tested it myself, & I just never saw any reason to change it... I never had any issues with it... 

Now the whole Cloud Based Sand Box replaced it, & 1st thing was, they showed it's Structure, but unlike the Application Guard before MS would not test this Updated one... & unlike before it looked fishy to me, as if it could leak Viruses into Windows10... I asked MS Tech Support, & my suspicion was correct... They quickely rushed my Chat, & had it closed, Ignoring my Suspicious Questions about MS New Security Sand Box, 

& then two months later there was a Major Breach of US Security through i'm betting Google into Windows, & into the US Systems, & such... 

I know this, because it looked fishy, & I questioned it two months before it happened, & supposedly it all lines up with my Suspicion, & supposedly those who were on Support with me when I questioned it, were actual straight up Jerks under MS Tech Support that night... 

Luckely, for me I pulled my Internet Cord that night, & ever since i've never had any Computer issues, but i've heard a lot of People who have had Computer issues on their Systems since... 

Supposedly, It also involves the Google with STEAM problems, & all the Privacy Collecting BS going on, it's all linked together, oO 

Supposedly, I don't know who,

I just sorta know how, but I also

have Suspicion of who it might be... Though...

Woudn't doubt it for a sec.

I do know the less of your info that's out there the better and purposely limiting it on my part has paid off before.
I don't "Trust" anyone wanting to hold or have such online, I know you can't completely stop it but there are cases when folks are just "Too Trusting" with their info.

Services such as LifeLock are perfect examples of this, Experian is another one and it's those kinds of things I do not trust at all and it's not really from a standpoint of THEM being the culprit, it's more like those sites are blatant targets for hackers.

Sooner or later they will be breached - I know a few years ago Experian got hit a few times and that was the one my former employer wanted us to use for this kind of service but I refused it everytime they asked.

When it got hit my former co-workers got their info stolen but not mine....
Already knew better than to allow such to be and that's why.
At least in that instance it didn't get stolen but TBH there's no telling what can happen next or how it's gonna go down.

Ya, I mean none of this info really matters now, cause already mostly too late, the Damage had already been done... 

But ya, out of the last few Years i've never had anything wrong with Both my 2 Computers,

but yet everyone else seems to be Reporting

all sorts of issues Online... 

The only issues I had, was just my PC's being too old / dying, but none of it was related, & that was the Point, I wasn't being effected by any of this... 

The reason I gave a fuss though, was cause 

I just don't wanna be cut off the Internet forever, 

when I do go back Online, I just don't want all those Mountain of Problems to slam in my Face, & blow up on me, just cause I connected... lOl...