Where the computer case get it's ground from the components and psu ground cable?

Ngamer666
Go to solution Solved by Ngamer666,

ok thanks guys i'll check if the psu screws are getting ground to the rest of the case through them

WOW!!  Learn something new every day.  I'm glad you sent the pic, many thanks.  You're right, some cases do come with painted screws.  I will have to remember that for sure, right along with the information about the brass conducting at 28 percent the rate of copper.  Thanks to those that made me a little more observant today.  Thanks, I appreciate the information.  BTW, what case is that, I may be due an upgrade next summer.

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

that is not how that works 🤣

Brass and bronze are still very conductive, just not as conductive as copper. They do not provide an insulation in the slightest. Please stop spreading misinformation.

You speak as though I spread the information that I had as being intentional and that I was out to harm someone.  That was not my intent at all.  Excuse me for being the imperfect human that I am, I do not belong on this earth.  Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Just now, kb5zue said:

WOW!!  Learn something new every day.  I'm glad you sent the pic, many thanks.  You're right, some cases do come with painted screws.  I will have to remember that for sure, right along with the information about the brass conducting at 28 percent the rate of copper.  Thanks to those that made me a little more observant today.  Thanks, I appreciate the information.  BTW, what case is that, I may be due an upgrade next summer.

its meshify 2 from fractal, i really like it, but the fan hub should have more information about how it works.

everything snaps together it's nice and easy to work with, only issue was the damn fans that have no threading in them, they are self tapping as you screw it the first time and since they are already installed in the case when you buy it, one of them broke as soon as i removed one screw the threaded part in the hole broke so i had to email fractal about it and argue that it broke not because i'm stupid i can unscrew them properly, just one of them had this issue.

2 minutes ago, Ngamer666 said:

its meshify 2 from fractal, i really like it, but the fan hub should have more information about how it works.

everything snaps together it's nice and easy to work with, only issue was the damn fans that have no threading in them, they are self tapping as you screw it the first time and since they are already installed in the case when you buy it, one of them broke as soon as i removed one screw the threaded part in the hole broke so i had to email fractal about it and argue that it broke not because i'm stupid i can unscrew them properly, just one of them had this issue.

Yea, sometimes having to deal with customer support can be difficult.  Sort of like Asus at times.  Asus has great stuff but sometimes trying to work with their customer support can be difficult.  Couple of years ago, I got a brand new Asus mobo that did not work from the minute I took it out of the box.  Took me a month to get them to exchange it.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Yea, sometimes having to deal with customer support can be difficult.  Sort of like Asus at times.  Asus has great stuff but sometimes trying to work with their customer support can be difficult.  Couple of years ago, I got a brand new Asus mobo that did not work from the minute I took it out of the box.  Took me a month to get them to exchange it.

Yeah asus email is really really slow

2 hours ago, kb5zue said:

The motherboard standoffs are made of brass so they provide insulation between the motherboard and the case.  They don't conduct electricity.

Uhm, no? Where do you get the idea that brass isn't a conductor? It ain't a great one but still plenty good for this.

Overall, grounding for ESD and safety purposes doesn't really need a low impedance path. So even minimal high-impedance contact through screws, stand-offs and loose contact will do the job.

In terms of motherboards, they're sometimes grounded at the mounting holes, sometimes they aren't. "It depends" is the correct answer here, and they're both valid approaches from an electronics design perspective. It depends on if they keep the reference voltage at earth/chassis level, EMI requirements, etc.

And the earth of the power cord is usually bolted directly to the PSU chassis through some means. Some PSUs will directly contact earth and the reference voltage, others have a high impedance link, yet others have the outputs floating. 

Basically, there's no one answer and a lot of companies are ignoring best practices and industry standards.

15 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Uhm, no? Where do you get the idea that brass isn't a conductor? It ain't a great one but still plenty good for this.

Overall, grounding for ESD and safety purposes doesn't really need a low impedance path. So even minimal high-impedance contact through screws, stand-offs and loose contact will do the job.

In terms of motherboards, they're sometimes grounded at the mounting holes, sometimes they aren't. "It depends" is the correct answer here, and they're both valid approaches from an electronics design perspective. It depends on if they keep the reference voltage at earth/chassis level, EMI requirements, etc.

And the earth of the power cord is usually bolted directly to the PSU chassis through some means. Some PSUs will directly contact earth and the reference voltage, others have a high impedance link, yet others have the outputs floating. 

Basically, there's no one answer and a lot of companies are ignoring best practices and industry standards.

Ironically, you're beating a dead horse.  This was solved yesterday to everyone's satisfaction.  Time to move on.

2 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Ironically, you're beating a dead horse.  This was solved yesterday to everyone's satisfaction.  Time to move on.

I don't think you quite understand just how wrong what you said was.

3 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

I don't think you quite understand just how wrong what you said was.

Ironically, just can't imagine how bad you want to beat that dead horse.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:25 AM, Ngamer666 said:

ah yes and now i remember they are often also painted.

what makes you think that makes a difference?  do you think paint just stops electricity because its not conductive? like 220v electricity?  

recommend to stay away from electronics then if you do lol.

and im sorry if i misunderstood,  but i think you pointed this out twice, like you actually think that makes a difference (which is very dangerous to think, especially when dealing with high voltages)

On 12/9/2022 at 5:44 AM, Ngamer666 said:

yeah the last 2 pc case i bought were all black standoff, thats probably coated with something, the only one i remember that were brass color dates from at least 15 years ago with the ugly gray old cases

pretty sure standoffs are typically conductive,  mine are silver color, not "coated" for example... 

yeah, its called paint 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/8/2022 at 11:44 PM, Ngamer666 said:

yeah the last 2 pc case i bought were all black standoff, thats probably coated with something, the only one i remember that were brass color dates from at least 15 years ago with the ugly gray old cases

if they are black it is possible it is anodized aluminum.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.