New PC will fail to boot with 4 sticks of RAM plugged in, will boot fine with 2 sticks

emrubi

Hello all,

I recently built a new PC (my second) and decided to go a little over the top with it. I'm running 4 sticks of 16 GB Corsair vengeance DDR5 ram on a ATX motherboard. I find that the computer sometimes fails to boot (usually the red CPU light shows the problem but sometimes it makes it all the way to the boot step, green light). I seem to have discovered that the issue happens when all 4 sticks are in. When I remove 2, the system turns on just fine. I also have swapped the sticks around and no issue with 2, but yes with 4. After a successful boot, when I replug in all 4 sticks and boot, it boots up fine. Any thoughts on the cause?

Specs:

Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-A

CPU: AMD RyzenTM 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4 sticks)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTXTM 3080

Occam’s a razor says most likely bad memory stick or bad motherboard memory slot or trace.   Those are hardware though.  It’s new so I’m assuming everything is still under warranty.  Was this bought at a b&m or online? Affects how much bother it is to just take it back.  Lots of bother and it’s worth looking at software possibilities first.  Very little bother and the parts cannon becomes cheap and easy to fire.

Assuming the parts cannon is a pain to fire,

I might want to start by running a few full runs of memtest86 overnight just to rule out memory boogers.  Also are these 4 sticks a single kit of 4, or two different kits of 2?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hey, thanks for the response! These are two different kits of 2, but same brand and type. They were bought off of Amazon, same with the motherboard. 

58 minutes ago, emrubi said:

Hey, thanks for the response! These are two different kits of 2, but same brand and type. They were bought off of Amazon, same with the motherboard. 

Huh?  So you’ve got two different kits?  Does it work when you have one of each type in?  Is there a reason you need 64gb instead of 32? Because atm it sounds like the simplest solution is just sell one of the kits

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.