Need advice regarding a used AORUS 1080 Ti 11GB (2x 8pin connection)

deedos

Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,

I mean it find it very hard to believe that your PSU could have done something to your card so bad that it kills it...while also not affecting any other part if your system or killing itself.

It's perhaps a bit undersized for a x80ti-class card, but even then it shouldn't cause any damage.

Card was probably ready to kick the bucket when you bought it.

Also, pretty much every PSU i've ever heard of has 2x 6+2pin PCIE connectors feeding off a single port on your PSU. The fact that both PCIE connectors split off from a single cable isn't unusual in any way.

So I recently purchased a used Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB GPU, plugged it in with the cable shown in these images and it was working fine for 3 days but then it just randomly died completely (no fans/rgb or signal to the monitor) so I took it back to the place I bought it from and got a replacement (which I haven't yet installed it due to fear that it will die due to either the PSU or the cable not being sufficient). Is it possible it's due to the cable/psu or could it just be that I bought a card that was used heavily for mining and it was on it's last legs or should I just bite the bullet and buy a better PSU?

• GPU: AORUS 1080 Ti 11GB 2x 8 pin connection

• CPU: Ryzen 3600

• RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair vengeance pro 3200mhz

• MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming pro carbon max

• PSU: Corsair TX550M, 550W

GPU will be used for gaming, pretty much only play Escape From Tarkov, Warzone 2, OW2 and a few other games here and there.

I have tried searching the forums for this question or similar but couldn't find any posts, maybe I didn't search properly so sorry in advance if that's the case, I appreciate any help/advice I get, based on what research I have done on other forums my current PSU wattage should be fine but it seems generally that at least a 600w PSU is recommended and it's mostly the cable that I'm concerned with as like I said above the original GPU died after 3 days of use to I'm paranoid that the replacement will also die so if I could also get some recommendations up to £100 for a reasonable PSU (preferably fully modular but semi is fine) that would be awesome.

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

the card is probably just fucked. I mean it could be the PSU but I doubt it.

Appreciate the reply and that's pretty much what I suspected, but just to confirm what you said, you think the PSU should be fine right, but what about the cable itself as it is a split cable(?) is that okay to use as well because that particular PSU only has one pcie output that splits into a 2x 8pin (6+2) if that makes sense (can be seen in the images I linked)?
afaik my psu is A tier, maybe B tier which is why I chose it in the first place as I wanted it to be a part of my system until I absolutely have to upgrade it.

If worse comes to worst I'm sure I could get another replacement or a refund at the very least so maybe it's worth just trying and seeing what happens but when it comes to like power cables my knowledge is pretty limited

I mean it find it very hard to believe that your PSU could have done something to your card so bad that it kills it...while also not affecting any other part if your system or killing itself.

It's perhaps a bit undersized for a x80ti-class card, but even then it shouldn't cause any damage.

Also, pretty much every PSU i've ever heard of has 2x 6+2pin PCIE connectors feeding off a single port on your PSU. The fact that both PCIE connectors split off from a single cable isn't unusual in any way.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I mean it find it very hard to believe that your PSU could have done something to your card so bad that it kills it...while also not affecting any other oart if your system or killing itself.

Okay cool thank you, like I said to the other person that replied that's more or less what I suspected and was basically my understanding of how most PSU's/cables work based on searching other forums and what not I just wanted to get that confirmation and ease of mind so to speak so I appreciate your reply and will hold you 100% responsible for anything that happens to my GPU 🤣 haha nah just kidding of course, appreciate you both