After Nvidia driver update lower max resolution on displayport vs HDMI

AlexRS
Go to solution Solved by AlexRS,

The problem becomes even more weird from here. I did as DemiGod suggested (and as DDU suggested and uninstalled in safe mode) booted back into normal windows and hooray 1440p. But off course I have no drivers so I installed an older version I downloaded (526.98) and when it was done, the display returned once again to 1024x768. 

I could try an even older version but I'm 99% certain I ran that version before as I generally do the updates when prompted.
But then I went back even further (521.95) and that has done the trick. So it some very stick and weird driver issue. I will now wait for a newer version to be released. If the problem continues I will post here again to keep others informed.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hi,

Today I update my nvidia drivers to 527.56. As soon as I did my resolution dropped from 2560x1440 to 1024x768. I figured a bug in the driver I will install an older version but that did not help. In safe mode I could select (and it would automatically select 1440p).
But never in windows itself my only options using displayport are 1024x768 and 800x600 even after multiple uninstalls and clean installs. Stranger still when I tested it with an HDMI cable I can and again automatically do get 1440p, but when I switch back to displayport it drops back down to 1024x768. Before the driver install it worked perfectly on displayport 1440p.

Does anybody have an idea. To me it feels like a setting stuck somewhere that says displayport -> max resolution that but I have no clue where to find it.

Thanks for any and all help. (I'm running an 970GTX)

Edited by AlexRS
Add what videocard I have

8 minutes ago, AlexRS said:

Hi,

Today I update my nvidia drivers to 527.56. As soon as I did my resolution dropped from 2560x1440 to 1024x768. I figured a bug in the driver I will install an older version but that did not help. In safe mode I could select (and it would automatically select 1440p).
But never in windows itself my only options using displayport are 1024x768 and 800x600 even after multiple uninstalls and clean installs. Stranger still when I tested it with an HDMI cable I can and again automatically do get 1440p, but when I switch back to displayport it drops back down to 1024x768. Before the driver install it worked perfectly on displayport 1440p.

Does anybody have an idea. To me it feels like a setting stuck somewhere that says displayport -> max resolution that but I have no clue where to find it.

Thanks for any and all help. (I'm running an 970GTX)

You could try DDU (it's a tool to completely remove your driver) and reinstall it. If that doesn't help let me know I will give some more suggestions.

The problem becomes even more weird from here. I did as DemiGod suggested (and as DDU suggested and uninstalled in safe mode) booted back into normal windows and hooray 1440p. But off course I have no drivers so I installed an older version I downloaded (526.98) and when it was done, the display returned once again to 1024x768. 

I could try an even older version but I'm 99% certain I ran that version before as I generally do the updates when prompted.
But then I went back even further (521.95) and that has done the trick. So it some very stick and weird driver issue. I will now wait for a newer version to be released. If the problem continues I will post here again to keep others informed.

Edited by AlexRS
I went back to nvidia drivers 521.95

1 hour ago, AlexRS said:

i agree... this is super weird, but yes, you could definitely try even older drivers... and also uninstall everything that could somehow interfere with the gpu drivers, for example afterburner, etc

i would recommend revo uninstaller for that, it's kinda like DDU but more globally.

ps: also install your chipset drivers (newest) becauseDDU wipes them... 

oh and because i didn't read did you try setting resolution in NVIDIA control panel?

edit: hmm yeah, you didnt say? i dont understand, you just mention windows?  resolution settings are in NVIDIA control panel , right?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, AlexRS said:

The problem becomes even more weird from here. I did as DemiGod suggested (and as DDU suggested and uninstalled in safe mode) booted back into normal windows and hooray 1440p.

this is also weird... when i ddu my resolution is like 480p or something 🤔

btw there's a million fixes for your issue if you search...

this seems the simplest one 

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/default-resolution-is-gone-after-installing-nvidia-drivers.2898772/

and if that still doesn't work,  i kinda bet its your dp cable or, ironically, port... they're kinda low quality (ive long stopped using them,  HDMI only for me)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

A few answers to some remarks/question in the posts above (thank you btw 🙂 ) :
The resolution is not available in both windows and nvidia control panel. Only 800x600 and 1024x768
I don't have anything like afterburner but I will retry with revo tonight.
I will reinstall my chipset drivers thanks.
I tried both the list all modes thing that gives the same resolutions (800x600 and 1024x768) just with a lot of refresh rates. And if I put in a custom one I get extreme artefacts. The image seems turned compressed and torn to shreds completely unusable. 
I don't think it is the cable or the port because on an older driver everything works fine using that port and cable.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help 

12 minutes ago, AlexRS said:

don't think it is the cable or the port because on an older driver everything works fine using that port and cable.

oh ok... thats good info... but then the issue is basically resolved? just use the older driver until they fix the newer ones.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yes the issue is indeed basically resolved. Though I will try revo just so if that is complete fix and somebody else woud find this thread.

1 hour ago, AlexRS said:

Yes the issue is indeed basically resolved. Though I will try revo just so if that is complete fix and somebody else woud find this thread.

ok good, but be careful with revo... you don't really need to use it since you don't really have anything to remove right now i guess. this was only meant for something like afterburner for example.  

this wasn't meant for gpu drivers,  thats what DDU is for.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity