PC doesnt post when Reset SW is pluged in

S1lentW0lf

Hello,

So a few days ago the sister from my gf had a problem. The pc wouldn't turn on if she pressed the power button. It's kept stuck at the cpu led on the mainboard. So she brought a new mb and my gf asked if i could build the pc. After if finished i used a screwdriver to turn it on. (At this point i didnt build it inside the case). Everthing was ok. Then into the case and pressed the power switch...and stuck at cpu. I checked everthing. Turned on with screwdriver and it's worked. After 20 turn on and turn off, i found out that it will only stuck at cpu if i pluged the reset sw in. 

Here my question: why does this happend? cpu everthing fine just the reset sw is the problem. At this point i dont have access. I am just curious if anyone has a idea, because i didnt find something on the all knowing world wide web.

the reset switch may be shorted somewhere, or the switch itself went bad, which may make the PC 'see' it like someone is holding reset down, which i assume would keep the PC from actually booting. you could reverse the reset switch and power switch if you want to investigate it. Otherwise id just leave it disconnected.

definitely a weird issue though

Cases can be bad, switches can be bad, Murphy's Law. But make sure you do not invert the "+" and "-" on connectors, DC circuits do not tolerate that.