Woman tries to enter China with over 200 Intel Alder Lake CPUs hidden inside fake pregnant belly

Summary

At the Gongbei Port in Zhuhai, a Chinese woman has been caught by Chinese customs attempting to smuggle 202 Intel Alder Lake processors and 9 iPhones. The smuggler, who has only been named as Zhao by MyDrivers, was attempting to smuggle electronics into China from Macau under a fake baby bump, hoping to appear to authorities as a pregnant woman. 

smuggle.jpg.d1ab281d8305193fe8f5b2566b62cd9a.jpg

Quotes

The perpetrator claimed she was five months pregnant; however, her belly was huge for the alleged gestation time, and she was walking effortlessly, which caused a lot of suspicions. After careful inspection, the customs agents later discovered that she had used duct tape to fix and hide smuggled goods beneath the fake silicone belly. Inside were 202 loose Alder Lake CPUs and 9 iPhones stuffed inside the false tummy, not a baby. 

The strangeness about this situation, aside from the obvious, is that customs would have eventually noticed the components and phones once Zhao had walked through a metal detector or full body scanners, which are safe for pregnant women to pass through these days, and which ports of entry would use instead of x-ray machines specifically for travelers who may be pregnant.

In any event, it is unclear why the woman was trying to bring CPUs into China from outside, and we can only speculate that it came down to their obvious resale. The value of these chips could range from $37,168 if they are all Intel Core i3 models to $164,226 if they are all Intel Core i9 models.

Chip smuggling is nothing new, in China and beyond. As immensely valuable electronics that are physically tiny, CPUs have the same kind of appeal as diamonds or luxury watches, maximizing potential profits per run for avoiding customs and import taxes.

My thoughts

This is a very interesting story, as I'm wondering how the lady thought she would get past the metal detector. Regardless, this is not the first time people have tried to smuggle tech items into China. $3 Million USD worth of AMD GPUs and 160 hidden Alder Lake CPUs were seized by Chinese customs in March. Also, $80 million USD worth of iPhones were attempted to be smuggled in by drones in China in March too. Quite the compelling operations these individuals have going on in China. The "CPU Momma" as they are calling her, will probably face jail time and heavy fines. This will likely not discourage future perpetrators from trying the same thing though. Although, this does give a whole new meaning to "Intel Inside".

Sources

https://overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/chinese_woman_attempts_to_smuggle_cpus_into_china_under_fake_baby_bump/1

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/89737/chinese-woman-fakes-pregnancy-tries-smuggling-200-intel-alder-lake-cpus/index.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/pregnant-smuggler-caught-after-200-cpus-are-found-in-her-prosthetic-belly/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1427190/smuggler-hides-200-intel-cpus-in-a-fake-baby-bump.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/smuggler-hid-over-200-alder-lake-cpus-in-fake-silicone-belly

https://www.techspot.com/news/96851-woman-tries-enter-china-202-intel-cpus-hidden.html

https://hothardware.com/news/woman-caught-smuggling-cpus-in-pregnancy-prosthesis

I wonder what was going through her mind when she did this lmfao

are alder lake CPUs not sold in China? why do they need to smuggle them?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

the funny thing is chn is probably super happy about this , free chips they probably can't get easily otherwise! 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

without looking it up, i think not , arent there tons of tech embargoes on chn recently? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hahaha, fake belly reminds of a hilarious scandal. The famous grávida de Taubaté.

Spoiler

She went on TV shows, got a ton of donations, etc.

Nobody believed it could be real, but nobody thought the press would get something so fake on TV.

They got her live on TV, walking around, sitting and walking normally, then showing her walking upstairs to her apartment.

Few days later, they confirmed it was all fake.

A ton people stopped trusting the media on those days. 

1830928915-1.jpg.38495a5c7e58d91257f35ba78e9cd814.jpg

Of course, she ended up as a meme. For example as a boss trying to bring back to life the four sons of Cthulhu. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9wJjo2_IcU&t=154

42 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Just checked taobao.com, plenty of alder lake CPUs being sold.

I happen to read and speak Chinese, there are tons of recent purchases.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

I wouldn't be surprised if that was entirely what they wanted. Chinese government gets them either way. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

-snip-

The CPUs I can understand... But IPHONES?! Is she not aware that China is WHERE THEY ARE MADE?!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, PocketNerd said:

The CPUs I can understand... But IPHONES?! Is she not aware that China is WHERE THEY ARE MADE?!

Y'all don't realize that smuggling is rarely about "getting things into the country" and more about "getting things across the border without paying the import duties"

Go watch "Border Security" episodes with people from Asia trying to smuggle in things (usually counterfeit items, or failure to state they are bringing in anything valued over $10,000.) Like clockwork, you'll see someone try to smuggle in a suitcase full of (what I'm sure is counterfeit) merchandise with the tags still on it, and the border security person tells them they either have to pay the taxes on it, or destroy it in front of them.

Usually every case of electronics smuggling is going to be either "trying to avoid paying import taxes" or "trying to smuggle counterfeit items". Drug imports are actually illegal in nearly every country, even if the drug is legal in the country. Same with weapons. You go straight to prison if you try to import those. But if you try dodge taxes, that's usually not a prison sentence, that's a confiscation and a fine.

Even today, if you order things from Asia, into Canada, you're often paying around 30% in import duties. I imagine the issue is the same for HK/Mainland China and Macau/China.  Both have no import taxes except on vehicles. Import into China has a 17% VAT.

Not every "smuggle" story is about the product being illegal, just people trying to dodge taxes.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:22 AM, Dukesilver27- said:

Just checked taobao.com, plenty of alder lake CPUs being sold.

I happen to read and speak Chinese, there are tons of recent purchases.

just because they're being sold doesn't mean they entered legally.

also

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/fake-intel-cpus-counterfeit-china-processors

i tried looking up which chips are currently banned from being sold to china but without luck, but i definitely heard something in the news, like newer gens, probably 12th, and up, and whatever electronics gets to chn from us currently seems to need approval and is thus likely rather limited.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

52 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

just because they're being sold doesn't mean they entered legally.

also

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/fake-intel-cpus-counterfeit-china-processors

i tried looking up which chips are currently banned from being sold to china but without luck, but i definitely heard something in the news, like newer gens, probably 12th, and up, and whatever electronics gets to chn from us currently seems to need approval and is thus likely rather limited.

I know it applies to AI/HPC compute accelerators, I'm not sure about CPUs though,

Outside the exemptions, companies will need a special license to sell computing chips and chipmaking equipment to China. The limits specifically target  graphics processing units used to power artificial intelligence applications, as previously noted by The New York Times. 

On 12/8/2022 at 3:17 AM, hndz said:

I wonder what was going through her mind when she did this lmfao

"I'm in the Money...I'm in the Money"

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

41 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I know it applies to AI/HPC compute accelerators, I'm not sure about CPUs though

yeah, i found similar stuff, but the news said something specifically about "cpu gens" a few weeks ago. But that doesn't mean they weren't making up stuff, its the news! lol 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, i found similar stuff, but the news said something specifically about "cpu gens" a few weeks ago. But that doesn't mean they weren't making up stuff, its the news! lol 

🤷‍♂️ I'd likely believe Sapphire Rapids HBM/Max Series might be affected.

Damn, that's what I call a big abortion.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

19 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Damn, that's what I call a big abortion.

Intel prefers to refer to aborted silicon as celerons. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/7/2022 at 10:47 PM, Mark Kaine said:

the funny thing is chn is probably super happy about this , free chips they probably can't get easily otherwise! 

without looking it up, i think not , arent there tons of tech embargoes on chn recently? 

I am absolutely certain that China could get their hands on a relatively small sample of CPUs if they really wanted to. I mean, if they send some people over to any other country that sells them, just buy up a few and fly back, who's going to stop them or find out?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

9 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

I am absolutely certain that China could get their hands on a relatively small sample of CPUs if they really wanted to. I mean, if they send some people over to any other country that sells them, just buy up a few and fly back, who's going to stop them or find out?

Or just send them back via the post in a jar full of coal samples.   Customs don't open every container and dogs can't sniff out the difference between .5c timer circuit and 60 quizzilion transistor CPU.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Have none of you considered if it's banned to be exported to China she would be arrested at the source and not the destination?

Also, smuggled hardware don't get taxed.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 hours ago, williamcll said:

Have none of you considered if it's banned to be exported to China she would be arrested at the source and not the destination?

Good point.