5800x3D Higher Temps with Cinebench R23

doryuu13

Good afternoon all,

I recently purchased a 5800x3D to replace my old 2700x as Asrock released BIOS compatibility. I installed the 5800x3D with an EK basic 360 AIO and got everything up and running fine. During gaming or CPUZ stress test temps are hovering between 65 and 75c however, when running all core Cinebench R23 for 10 minute loop, my temps will hit almost 90c on the package and spike above 90 on CCD 0 (highest I saw was 91c). Frequency remains fairly high even at high temps around 4.2 gigahertz but the temps are causing concern. I have seen conflicting information about the subject where some people say 90c is higher than usual and some are saying even with 420mm AIO they will hit 90c on synthetic benchmarks. I have already reseated cpu, repasted the block and made sure contact from the block to the IHS was even but temps stay fairly consistent. I was worried I would need to RMA the chip, does anyone have experience with this chip that can weigh in?

Build:
Case: Lian Li PC 0-11 Dynamic --> 3 bottom intake 120mm fans, 3 side intake 120mm fans, radiator top mounted with 3 Vardar s fans acting as exhaust.
Mobo: Asrock x370 Killer Sli/Ac BIOS 7.40
Cooler: EKWB basic 360 AIO (full pump speed and fans at 100% at 80c)
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Completely fine, your clocks are staying at the max all core boost of 4225mhz, so the cpu isn't throttling, it is extracting every last bit of performance out of itself it can.

The 5800x3D is really hard to cool because the cpu cores don't touch the heatspreader, they are covered by the layer of cache, and silicon really doesn't transfer heat very well.

You can undervolt it and will be fine.

My cpu behaved exactly the same with stock bios settings, but my asus x470 board allowed for negative (-) voltage offset, so running it at - 0.05V the temps are only 82c in cinebench, but clock are the same.

But even if you dont underclock that cpu is designed to run like that for years, so really no worries. You can also lower the fans speeds because they arent the reason the cpu temp is that high.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Completely fine, your clocks are staying at the max all core boost of 4225mhz, so the cpu isn't throttling, it is extracting every last bit of performance out of itself it can.

The 5800x3D is really hard to cool because the cpu cores don't touch the heatspreader, they are covered by the layer of cache, and silicon really doesn't transfer heat very well.

You can undervolt it and will be fine.

My cpu behaved exactly the same with stock bios settings, but my asus x470 board allowed for negative (-) voltage offset, so running it at - 0.05V the temps are only 82c in cinebench, but clock are the same.

But even if you dont underclock that cpu is designed to run like that for years, so really no worries. You can also lower the fans speeds because they arent the reason the cpu temp is that high.

@Origami Cactusthank you so much for the reply. I'm glad to hear my chip isn't an issue. I'll try an undervolt on it and see what sort of temps that gets me. I really appreciate it

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

The 5800X3D is a toasty boi.

@BiotechBenso it would seem lol much hotter than my 2700x

1 minute ago, doryuu13 said:

@BiotechBenso it would seem lol much hotter than my 2700x

My 2600x on stock cooling will go 3.95 all core at 86C when rendering video.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

My 2600x on stock cooling will go 3.95 all core at 86C when rendering video.

@BiotechBen I never did much benchmarking with my 2700x, so I can't recall temps but I know it never got that hot during a gaming session lol

35 minutes ago, doryuu13 said:

Good afternoon all,

I recently purchased a 5800x3D to replace my old 2700x as Asrock released BIOS compatibility. I installed the 5800x3D with an EK basic 360 AIO and got everything up and running fine. During gaming or CPUZ stress test temps are hovering between 65 and 75c however, when running all core Cinebench R23 for 10 minute loop, my temps will hit almost 90c on the package and spike above 90 on CCD 0 (highest I saw was 91c). Frequency remains fairly high even at high temps around 4.2 gigahertz but the temps are causing concern. I have seen conflicting information about the subject where some people say 90c is higher than usual and some are saying even with 420mm AIO they will hit 90c on synthetic benchmarks. I have already reseated cpu, repasted the block and made sure contact from the block to the IHS was even but temps stay fairly consistent. I was worried I would need to RMA the chip, does anyone have experience with this chip that can weigh in?

Build:
Case: Lian Li PC 0-11 Dynamic --> 3 bottom intake 120mm fans, 3 side intake 120mm fans, radiator top mounted with 3 Vardar s fans acting as exhaust.
Mobo: Asrock x370 Killer Sli/Ac BIOS 7.40
Cooler: EKWB basic 360 AIO (full pump speed and fans at 100% at 80c)
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Everything will be fine 

CPU will throttle when reaching 90C, but unless you do Cinebench for a living it won't happen in daily usage 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 / RTX3080 Gigabyte EAGLE GPU/ Phanteks P600S case / Customized Watercooling Eisbaer 280mm + Eiswolf2 360mm + VPP755 pump  and 150mm reservoir0.5TB Sabrent Rocket + 2TB WD SN850 NVme Gen4 + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/ 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p Alienware AW3420DW monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Everything will be fine 

CPU will throttle when reaching 90C, but unless you do Cinebench for a living it won't happen in daily usage 🙂 

@PDifolco No just mostly gaming tbh thanks for the reply I feel much better about the temperatures now

3 minutes ago, doryuu13 said:

@PDifolco No just mostly gaming tbh thanks for the reply I feel much better about the temperatures now

Yeah, my point was that normal 5800X3D usage revolves around gaming, and then don't include long periods of all cores loads, so temp spikes aren't really a concern

System : AMD R9 5900X / X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 / RTX3080 Gigabyte EAGLE GPU/ Phanteks P600S case / Customized Watercooling Eisbaer 280mm + Eiswolf2 360mm + VPP755 pump  and 150mm reservoir0.5TB Sabrent Rocket + 2TB WD SN850 NVme Gen4 + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/ 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p Alienware AW3420DW monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse