Lipstick on a Pig – “Treasure Box” Refurbished Gaming PC Review

TannerMcCoolman

Well now we know what happened to Linus's thumb...

Plug the service tag (the refurbisher's sticker calls it the "serial number") into dell.com/support and it will tell you the specs that particular machine left the factory with:

Original ship date: May 19. 2015

Intel Core i5 4690

8 GB (2x 4GB DIMMs) DDR3 1600

500 GB 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD

AMD Radeon R5 240 graphics

Windows 7 Pro (via Windows 8.1 downgrade rights)

8x DVD-ROM

You can get a comparable Optiplex for well under $100 shipped on eBay (at least in the US).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

At least it doesn't say "gaming" in the title of the Dell.

I've seen tons on eBay that do, using either LP 710 or 1030 GPUs and the "up to i7!" yet they never say these are 1st or 2nd gen Intel CPUs....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

you know, that infinity mirror 5.25 drive bay deal, where the heck can I get one off the shelf lol!

there are obviously the case one that is sold completely as new, but I got a core X9 that I got used with missing 5.25 drive bay covers that I think could house this lol.

Really? You people straight up dont bother putting up a correct world map?

the recognized part of Kashmir in india, you show as part of china. amazing.

not just that

Entire countries of Nepal, Bhutan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan along with Indian territory are shown inside China.

Did china pay you to use this?

23 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

LTT is one of the only north american YT channel to do a mirror on bilibili (chinese youtube) and those need to apply to those rules.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

You can get a comparable Optiplex for well under $100 shipped on eBay (at least in the US).

or for 200USD get a refurbished dell optiplex 5050 (6th to 7th gen intel)

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

35 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Really? You people straight up dont bother putting up a correct world map?

*snip*

the recognized part of Kashmir in india, you show as part of china. amazing.

This is actually really funny.

Kashmir is given to China. Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Nepal simply don't exist. Kaliningrad Oblast has straight up fallen into the sea.

I'm assuming they just used a stock photo they found on the internet, it's not that complex, but it is a very strange map none the less. 

image.thumb.png.aa6718e98673a4708024a8bcb94b216f.png

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

yeah.. drunk i.t. look.... nice

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

47 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

As already mentioned they upload videos for their Chinese viewers, so they have to follow those rules. Though I think LTT shouldn't have used a world map at all, it would've easily avoided any issues.

Regarding where they came from, DCR Systems Group is Dell Canada's official refurbisher and is only 15 minutes from one of these companies. DCR receives products by the pallet from Dell of used products or cancelled orders and resells on their own marketplace. They probably outsource some of these pallets as they primarily focus on monitors and laptops 

considering the fact that i not only managed to run Cyberpunk 2077 on a 10 year old IvyBridge Lenovo Y580 with a gtx 660 on minimum setting and run witcher 3 and Skyrim on the same machine (well it was 1366 * 768) with 60+fps with 2 years old drivers then I say it will not be strange for me if they advertised those system as gaming PC , they are stronger than that lenovo laptop

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO nearly $300 is way too much for a Dell with a 4th gen Intel CPU, you can get a Dell Optiplex with an 8th gen i5 for around $300 usd, sometimes even less.

I agree, I have a dell optiplex 5050 (bought last year) for 200 usd it came with a i5 6500 and 8gb of ram I added 12gb of ram (from different computer) and a 970 evo 500gb for like 70USD so kinda less than the 300usd. But I agree certified refurb makes using pcs easier

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I really Like that infinity mirror on the one OptiPlex I looked around and could not find one. Dose anyone know where I could pick one up?

24 minutes ago, 123pinkjay said:

I really Like that infinity mirror on the one OptiPlex I looked around and could not find one. Dose anyone know where I could pick one up?

4 hours ago, TheHolyLancer said:

you know, that infinity mirror 5.25 drive bay deal, where the heck can I get one off the shelf lol!

there are obviously the case one that is sold completely as new, but I got a core X9 that I got used with missing 5.25 drive bay covers that I think could house this lol.

Closest I could find...might give you a lead on a proper one

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801036867664.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just gonna remind people, especially in Canada: dellrefurbished is also an option. You ain't getting blinged out Optiplexes, but you do get 6th/7th-gen intel PCs now.  

You're welcome folks.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Dell Optiplex SFF (Small Form Factor) computers are awesome. I have a house full of used ones running Distributed Computing. Some r HP brand. Thing is though, you can get an i5-8500 SFF with a cheap small SSD or ick mechanical for $220 often on eBay. Add RAM, good drive and a 75w half-height GPU (no PSU cables) and you r set. Only 2 have had CPU fan noise and eventual fan failure after 6months +. No warranty, no RGB or wrap but hey. 

Wish we saw where they connected the RGB strips so I could have some fun..

Garage completed August 2022 full view. Added 29 machines along back wall.jpg

living room 1.jpg

living room 2.jpg

Upstairs closet_old.jpg

Upstairs front bedroom.jpg

5 hours ago, Chuck652 said:

Windows 10 will not be sold after Jan 31st 2023 according to Download Windows 10 Home | Microsoft

Windows 11 won't install on these computers... short lived business model?

Naa, they'll just switch to LTSC or something

Just now, plurus said:

Linux (eg Kubuntu) is still very viable.  

But not for a mass-marketed "gaming!" PC it's not. Yeah for the geeks who can work around it, sure, but a geek into Linux isn't going to be caught dead with one of those bling'd out Dells. Like it or not, these types of companies are Windows-only shops

20 hours ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

Buy an i7 Dell Treasure Box PC: https://geni.us/nuWV3wN
Buy an i5 Dell Treasure Box PC: https://geni.us/8RlQ

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Hey I've configured the Treasure Box computer! Not sure if this is one I've built but it's was very surprising to hear some discussion of our company from the largest tech content creator. If you have any questions or if LTT has any questions, I'll try my best to answer them. Thanks 👍