recommendation for value gaming monitor

baronvonsatchel

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from some wretched no-name 60Hz monitor with bad color accuracy to something a bit more gaming oriented. Her ideal budget is around $300 and maybe up to $500 US. She says her desk isn't very big so probably no more than 27". The refresh rate and color were things she specifically mentioned wanting to improve, and a height adjustable stand would be a nice to have. Her PC is rocking a 2070 SUPER so it should be capable of 1440p at 120-180Hz. I found this review on Hardware Unboxed and it seems to check all the boxes, it's even on sale for $300 last I checked, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a better deal in this price range before she pulls the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjr7VGjnweo

Main gaming rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Cooler: stock

Motherboard: Asus TUF B550-M Plus Wifi

Storage:

• Boot: 500GB Samsung 980 NVMe
  • Pool 1: 2X WD Red Plus 6TB HDD in RAIDZ1
  • Some random WD OEM 500GB NVMe SSD out of a laptop (I call it "Alcatraz" because it's only used for TrueNAS jails)

PSU: EVGA 600BR

Case: Silverstone CS351

Bit of a weird jumble of parts I know, it was made of leftovers and whatever the local computer store had on the shelf.

Monitor is defined by video processor.  The 2070S is a 1440p or 4k card.  It’s too much for 1080p and not quite enough for 4k.  4k can do 1080p well though, so getting a 4k and playing at 1080p for games that are too low fps@ 4k or FSSing up to 4k would seem like the way to go.  High refresh is really nice.  The difference between 60 and 100 is wild.  After that there are diminishing returns though. unboxed knows their stuff.  There is also monitor unboxed which may be the same company.  Not sure.  The first screen I see on pcpartpicker that I would maybe want to game on is the mono price dark matter.  It’s more of a widescreen 1440p though.  There’s probably something usable in the 340-350 range though.  I’m just not a fan of 1440p monitors.  It’s useful for gaming but is suboptimal for everything else.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, baronvonsatchel said:

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from some wretched no-name 60Hz monitor with bad color accuracy to something a bit more gaming oriented. Her ideal budget is around $300 and maybe up to $500 US. She says her desk isn't very big so probably no more than 27". The refresh rate and color were things she specifically mentioned wanting to improve, and a height adjustable stand would be a nice to have. Her PC is rocking a 2070 SUPER so it should be capable of 1440p at 120-180Hz. I found this review on Hardware Unboxed and it seems to check all the boxes, it's even on sale for $300 last I checked, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a better deal in this price range before she pulls the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjr7VGjnweo

Acer Nitro VG242YP

Have a look at this video for solid recommendations backed by positive reviews in your price range, also from Hardware Unboxed:

About monitor marketing BS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG C2 OLED 42" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro - Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic