Replacement for Google WiFi Mesh (FTTP)

Skeeter

I'm pretty sure my Google WiFi is dying. What's a good alternative home mesh option for a tech savvy person who wants more control than Google WiFi offers, and who will soon have 1Gb FTTP?

My specific criteria are:

- Mesh of 3 or 4 nodes

- Ethernet backhall available for most, if not all nodes (depends how many and where I put them)

- Tough, so that one or more can live in the loft would be great, but not a must

- Configurable for at least the bare minimum of port forwarding, DNS changing to use PiHole, and configurable through a web browser and not forced to use a bloody app

- Useful metrics to test the speed of devices, nodes, and the internet

Thanks!

Curious what makes your think your google wifi is "dying" (Im asking bc I was looking at getting google mesh or another mesh network in the future) 

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

My internet will just slow down. If I do a speed test on the Google WiFi itself it then speeds back up. For a few days, then slows. A few other people have the same behaviour on Reddit and no cure.

But also the removal of features from an already stripped down experience has really annoyed me. The control and configuration through the app is so basic its frustrating. If I think I have an issue it's basically impossible to diagnose. So the main problem I have is I don't know what's up with my WiFi and I can't figure it out. So replacing it is as much about diagnostics as it is about replacing it.

Take a look at the ubiquiti UniFi dream router, to which you could then connect as many access points as you’d like. Web interface, much more customization, has the metrics/testing, access points can happily live in an attic or outside. 

A cheap option would be to use some of tp links deco series stuff. Its good and works well.

The expensive option would be to go ubiquiti. Its "prosumer" level stuff.

I like and use ubiquiti access points and switches. I prefer pfsense for my router as it allows much more control over the network and more VPN options.