Apple updates App Store Price Flexibility | Paid apps now from $0.29 to Up To US$ 10K

AlTech

Summary

Apple is updating the pricing flexibility of apps on the App Store. Among these changes, Apple will allow developers to change subscription prices and one off purchases as cheap as $0.29 and as expensive as US$ 10,000 .

Prior to this apps had to charge at least $0.99 and couldn't charge more than $1000.

It should be noted that prices above $1000 are upon request only and in theory Apple can decline to offer it to a developer.

Apple is also allowing devs to charge different amounts per country if they don't want to use Apple's suggested pricing.

This change will affect app subscriptions right now but won't affect one time purchases until Spring 2023. No reason was given for the delay for apps not using subscriptions.

Quotes

Apple unveiled the most sweeping change yet to the App Store pricing model it applies to all apps submitted to its app stores on Tuesday. In the new system, app developers will have substantially more control over how they price their apps.

Apple's App Store has a history of offering relatively limited price point options to app and game developers. With the new policies, the minimum app price has dropped from $0.99 to $0.29, and the maximum has risen from $1,000 to $10,000. Prices can include $0.10, $0.50, $1, $5, $10, and $100. Supported conventions include X.99, X.00, X.90, and X.95.

My thoughts

This is good news for app developers, but until we have App side loading on IOS  inevitably forced by the EU there still won't be any competition on IOS against Apple's app store monopoly.

Also, this presumably still doesn't allow app devs to explain to customers that they charge more on IOS or why they do so.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/12/apple-announces-sweeping-changes-to-app-store-pricing/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I am shocked they didn't allow this earlier. It's just more revenue for them. There will be app developers rushing to be the first ones to offer $2k, $5k, etc apps, and there will be people who buy them just for the clout. 

Cha-ching. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I am shocked they didn't allow this earlier. It's just more revenue for them. There will be app developers rushing to be the first ones to offer $2k, $5k, etc apps, and there will be people who buy them just for the clout. 

Well there is a risk for apple.  As apple is the retailer if a user challenges a charge that is a charge back agaist apple (not the developer) if by the time the charge back completes apple has already paid out the developer then it can be very hard to get that money back.  

There are apps out there (for the Mac) that (not on the App Store) that cost well over $1k (applications for very niche industries) however even if devs use the App Store as these are apps targeted at companies (not consumers) devs do not need to use apples purchase system. 

2 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Well there is a risk for apple.  As apple is the retailer if a user challenges a charge that is a charge back agaist apple (not the developer) if by the time the charge back completes apple has already paid out the developer then it can be very hard to get that money back.  

There are apps out there (for the Mac) that (not on the App Store) that cost well over $1k (applications for very niche industries) however even if devs use the App Store as these are apps targeted at companies (not consumers) devs do not need to use apples purchase system. 

I don't imagine the cost associated with that fringe case would counter the additional profits made. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, hishnash said:

That risk is part of the game if you want to run your own store.  While apple don't permit sideloading or competing stores then they must shoulder that risk and not foist it onto consumers or developers who play by the rules.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

57 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't imagine the cost associated with that fringe case would counter the additional profits made. 

If apple let any app charge this then the majority would be scam apps.  So the number of such charge backs would be very high.  

51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That risk is part of the game if you want to run your own store.  While apple don't permit sideloading or competing stores then they must shoulder that risk and not foist it onto consumers or developers who play by the rules.

Auditing apps such that only those that are at leas somewhat light can charge such high prices hardy counts as harming developers. 

I'd like to see the apps that only cost 29 cents. I could see that being useful for developers who want to gate an app by charging money, but don't really need profit.

5 hours ago, hishnash said:

If apple let any app charge this then the majority would be scam apps.  So the number of such charge backs would be very high.  

How is this any different from now? Devs can already try and sneak scam apps for $1 onto the app store, or $100. The higher tier, $10K, is by special approval only. Can you elaborate what you mean here?

I can pretty much guarantee that if Apple discovers a dev scamming customers, that dev will get banned.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

My thoughts

This is good news for app developers, but until we have App side loading on IOS  inevitably forced by the EU there still won't be any competition on IOS against Apple's app store monopoly.

The EU is planning to force side loading into iOS? That would be great. It would definitely make Android completely redundant for me. The Apple AppStore is a complete wasteland just filled with garbage, would be great to see a high quality FOSS AppStore for iOS like F-Droid.

19 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

The EU is planning to force side loading into iOS?

Not sure if it's been officially confirmed but the EU is leaning that way as they are quite unhappy with the state of IOS competition. They see sideloading as a way to significantly improve competition within IOS.

19 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

That would be great. It would definitely make Android completely redundant for me. The Apple AppStore is a complete wasteland just filled with garbage, would be great to see a high quality FOSS AppStore for iOS like F-Droid.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

23 hours ago, hishnash said:

And still a problem for apple and not for the consumer or every other developer who is being fair and reasonable.

23 hours ago, hishnash said:

Auditing apps such that only those that are at leas somewhat light can charge such high prices hardy counts as harming developers. 

No, but limiting what honest developers can and can't do because apple don't want to take financial responsibility for the only ios app store fits the description of harming developers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.