New Computer freezes irregularly with all 4 RAM sticks and the only fix is to remove all but one stick. Help Please.

Zephyrus07

Hello Everyone,

As stated above, I have recently built a new computer and am new to this and am stuck. The problem I am having is that my computer will freeze randomly, mostly in boot up, to where even restarting will not fix it. This only occurs when all 4 sticks are in together. The only solution I have found to work is removing all but one stick and letting the system reboot before putting the others back in.  I have been running the pc with only two sticks in to the max and no problems have popped up, even if I move the sticks between channels. On top of it, even with all 4 sticks in, I am unable to artificially create the issue. So far I have tried everything that I am aware of to fix this issue. I first suspected the RAM and DIMM slots to be faulty, but have ran all sticks separately and together in all the slots through memtest86 and it all came up clear. Plus, while the system is running, it runs fine even when stress testing the unit. At this point, everything had been tested and the only lead I have now would be the PSU. One night when touching the case, I was shocked and thought that perhaps it could be a grounding issue? But I am still unsure. If you need further detail I am happy to give it. Thank you!

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 LGA 1700

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

PSU: CORSAIR HX1000

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3600

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix

If the case shocked you, you definitely have a grounding issue or more importantly a defective PSU issue, can you repeat the shock or was it static from You ?

You already provided the answer, the 4 sticks together cause a problem, so you have 2 issues to resolve.

Will the 4 sticks work if you leave the system in BIOS ? What is the stick voltage and what is BIOS showing as voltage with all 4 in it ?

I see you need 1.35V if you're running XMP-3600mhz on these ram chips. So make sure the MB provides that, if not might have to bump it up a little to reach that, like 0.025V.

50 minutes ago, Cyberat said:

If the case shocked you, you definitely have a grounding issue or more importantly a defective PSU issue, can you repeat the shock or was it static from You ?

You already provided the answer, the 4 sticks together cause a problem, so you have 2 issues to resolve.

Will the 4 sticks work if you leave the system in BIOS ? What is the stick voltage and what is BIOS showing as voltage with all 4 in it ?

The 4 sticks work perfectly fine within the bios all together. Only occasionally while booting will it not load anything at all and the only way to fix it would be removing all but one then booting the pc as normal. The stick voltage is 1.35V and BIOS is showing the same. 1.368V to be precise. I'm new to this so could I be missing a value somewhere? Could the low voltage you are referring to be the VRAM core voltage? That is running at about 1.302V in BIOS while all four sticks are in.

Nope, not that, so it's not a voltage issue, the Ram gets more than enough.

First things first memtest64 all 4 sticks, 8 passes min., suggest overnight. Monitor can be off till you need it.

8 passes? I've always stopped at 4 but I'll give it a shot

9 minutes ago, Cyberat said:

If it passes you have a bad Windows Install, suggest a startup repair.

I will keep that in mind. I have not actually done that yet so that is good to know. I'll let you know how it goes once everything is done and see how it turns out.