Should I give up on the 4090 and get a 7900 xtx?

Drizzt

If AMD releases enough stock at once Nvidia will surely lose 4090 customers. I've been trying to buy a 4090 for over a month.

It's never been this hard to spend 1600. If Nvidia released 130k 4090s I suspect AMD will need to release at least double that to meet demand.

There will still be a perceived shortage due to scalpers.

If you don't want a chance of your power connecter melting and if you don't care about RT cores. A $1000 graphics card is still going to be great.

11 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

If AMD releases enough stock at once Nvidia will surely lose 4090 customers. I've been trying to buy a 4090 for over a month.

It's never been this hard to spend 1600. If Nvidia released 130k 4090s I suspect AMD will need to release at least double that to meet demand.

Getting a 4090 is sort of pointless anyways unless A) You need that level of performance B) Money is no concern to you and finally C) You like to support NVIDIA's own scalper tactics. Current benchmark leaks have the card at 4080 level performance for less money. If nothing else, the other side will eventually have to cut prices or release cheaper models to compete. So unless you play RTX games in 4k all the time or you need that performance for something else, I'd really wait a bit. No idea on supply but with the modular design, AMD should be able to make more in less time so that's already some good news. And remember, most people will still by the other cards because most people will not build their own computers. So AMD cards should remain longer in stock, unless they absolutely crush the competition.........

20 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

Are you in the US or another country?  IDK about the current issues but I walked in day 1 at Microcenter and they still had a lot even 4 hours after launch.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

26 minutes ago, idkevenknow said:

If you don't want a chance of your power connecter melting and if you don't care about RT cores. A $1000 graphics card is still going to be great.

I am just really tempted to get best of the best.  I have yet to experience ray tracing and I am curious about trying it out on the 4k oled lg c2 I just bought. I want to play new games with ray tracing and max graphics 4k.

Do you think it's not worth it?

16 minutes ago, ewitte said:

Are you in the US or another country?  IDK about the current issues but I walked in day 1 at Microcenter and they still had a lot even 4 hours after launch.  

I am in usa but there's no micro centers near me.

22 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Getting a 4090 is sort of pointless anyways unless A) You need that level of performance B) Money is no concern to you and finally C) You like to support NVIDIA's own scalper tactics. Current benchmark leaks have the card at 4080 level performance for less money. If nothing else, the other side will eventually have to cut prices or release cheaper models to compete. So unless you play RTX games in 4k all the time or you need that performance for something else, I'd really wait a bit. No idea on supply but with the modular design, AMD should be able to make more in less time so that's already some good news. And remember, most people will still by the other cards because most people will not build their own computers. So AMD cards should remain longer in stock, unless they absolutely crush the competition.........

I'm upgrading from a gtx1080. I built a new pc and bought a used rtx3070 that I just put in a week or so ago as a temporary card until I get a new gen gpu. I've been using the gtx1080 at 1440p for years.

For the first year or so of playing I will be going through new games I haven't played at 4k off my lg c2 (with ray tracing if I get a 4090).

I might also do some work in unreal.

14 minutes ago, idkevenknow said:

I think you should wait until the 7900xtx benchmarks come out.

If I wait they will probably all be bought up. I have a rtx4090 on backorder from tigerdirect. My funds for the gpu are locked up there. I might get paid on release day for the 7900 xtx and then purchase it.

Or I can cancel my backorder from tigerdirect and know I will have the funds for the 7900xtx.

However canceling the 4090 will not guarantee I get the 7900 xtx and I'll lose my spot in line for a more powerful gpu.

Rtx4090 burning is a huge concern of mine. So much so I will probably unplug my computer every time I leave after shutting it down.

Weird

I'm in France and can see a ton (really, at least 10 cards) of 4090 available or under 1 week for not much more than MSRP (which is 2000EUR with VAT, and then who cares for 200 more ?)

Not talking about 4080s that already are under MSRP and come by dozens...

OTOH I'm pretty sure than 7900XT/XTX launch will be a disaster with 1st batch of AMD cards oos in a few seconds, then being scalped until AIB release their models...

Life is unfair

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

18 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Weird

I'm in France and can see a ton (really, at least 10 cards) of 4090 available or under 1 week for not much more than MSRP (which is 2000EUR with VAT, and then who cares for 200 more ?)

Not talking about 4080s that already are under MSRP and come by dozens...

OTOH I'm pretty sure than 7900XT/XTX launch will be a disaster with 1st batch of AMD cards oos in a few seconds, then being scalped until AIB release their models...

Life is unfair

The only cards available in usa are off ebay or you pay 2300-3000 usd from amazon/newegg scalpers. That is just ridiculous. I am trying to find one for msrp.

There are restocks but in my experience they sell out in 1 second.

2 hours ago, Drizzt said:

If I wait they will probably all be bought up. I have a rtx4090 on backorder from tigerdirect. My funds for the gpu are locked up there. I might get paid on release day for the 7900 xtx and then purchase it.

Or I can cancel my backorder from tigerdirect and know I will have the funds for the 7900xtx.

Tiger direct has 4090s on sale in stock now.

2 hours ago, Drizzt said:

Rtx4090 burning is a huge concern of mine. So much so I will probably unplug my computer every time I leave after shutting it down.

It won't burn while the system is off. Just don't leave it running when you aren't home. And following the last video from gamers nexus, just make sure you have it plugged in fully. That seems to be the problem based on his failure analysis.

1 hour ago, JimmyJJones said:

Tiger direct has 4090s on sale in stock now.

It says 45-60 days. When I ordered it used to say 30-45 days. They told me to expect it by January. I suspect I will see it soon or not at all. I've seen PNY 4090s popping up for sale so they must be releasing them again.

4 hours ago, Drizzt said:

I am just really tempted to get best of the best.  I have yet to experience ray tracing and I am curious about trying it out on the 4k oled lg c2 I just bought. I want to play new games with ray tracing and max graphics 4k.

Well, depends on your priority, but your needs seems to check out so I think it is worth a consideration to go RTX4090. But for price to performance ratio, AMD still is my preferred choice because I don't care much about ray-tracing.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

9 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, depends on your priority, but your needs seems to check out so I think it is worth a consideration to go RTX4090. But for price to performance ratio, AMD still is my preferred choice because I don't care much about ray-tracing.

When I saw the 7900xtx I decided it was time to do a full upgrade. I bought the parts for my pc along with a used rtx3070 as a placeholder. Then I realized the 4090 is a lot better in ray tracing. Realistically the rtx4090 should be priced $1200-1300, and the rtx4080 should be priced 800-900. It really blows my mind how high the demand is. I just chose a bad time to upgrade (for demand) but a good time in terms of upgrade power. No way I would pay much over msrp. I'm paying 50 over msrp for backorder from tigerdirect.

Hmm... Well, nVidia is a little sketchy, I mean, with recent post that they 'undercut' their AIB, it's pretty much hard to say.

But let's see how AMD turns out and thought about it from there. AMD are quite aggressive with their performance and they might be more ideal choice if the price is right, which is always the case, problem is previously, their offering couldn't match nVidia high-end cards, but now the tide has turn. For me, I would sit back and watch how the market sways.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

12 hours ago, Drizzt said:

Ray tracing honestly becomes like background noise in basically all games except the tech demos like minecraft and quake 2 where they cause a whole artstyle overhaul.

Unless you stare at reflections intensely and such during normal gameplay the chance you'll notice it is near 0.

If you wanna do 4k high refresh with ray tracing youll also have to turn on dlss as the 4090 is only a 4k high refresh card eithout ray tracing.

Id just wait what amd does too might be they end up delivering something really great

If you care about 14 more 4K frames and like 3 1080p frames and you have unlimited money...then go for the 4090. But I strongly suggest going for the 7900 xtx.

Omg, it's a signature!

Just get a 4080, it's so overpriced that it's always in stock lol

On 12/6/2022 at 4:08 PM, Drizzt said:

I am in usa but there's no micro centers near me.

I'm not sure how remote you are but I'd drive 10 hours before paying scalper prices.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

5 minutes ago, bwat47 said:

Just get a 4080, it's so overpriced that it's always in stock lol

60% of the hardware for 85% of the price...